Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Here

GDeen Guest

Default Newbie Here

Howdy POG members. Just joined the group this past weekend. Already have extracted some great info - thanks.

My outdoor experience includes close to 200 nights in a tent from south Texas to Northern Manitoba - mountain backpacking treks, canoe portage treks, float trips and everything in between. My wife and I have always wanted a motorhome to tour the country. Last summer we leased a Monaco Diplomat from an individual for a couple of weeks and had a ball on a trip to the desert southwest.

We live in central Texas. Been married 25 years with 4 kids - 21,19,17 and 11 Have an Electra Glide and have toured the mountain states with it, although we haven't been riding as much lately. Hobbies also include cooking, hunting, fishing and photography.

I am an engineer by training and tend to study purchases quite a bit. Although we enjoyed the Monaco and it performed well, I was very aware of guiding a fiberglass shell on top of a chassis down the highway complete with rattles and shakes and porpoising, etc. I-40 in a cross wind with semi's blowing by wasn't pleasant. In my review of potential coaches for purchase, I have quickly settled on the monocoque or semi with bus conversions leading the way. We will drive quite a lot so I want a safe, secure road worthy machine that is also good to "camp" in.

Presently I am looking at Prevost conversions and Newells. I am intrigued by the steerable tag on the later Newells for tighter handling. The Prevost speaks for itself.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.

Edited to say: After further reading I see some "oilies from Oklahoma" in the group. Although in Texas now (22 years) I grew up in Oklahoma, started ruffnecking in Ok, and graduated from Tulsa U, and have been in the "ohl biddness" my whole life so there is another Okie Oily present and accounted for....
    Last edited by GDeen; 08-06-2007 at 01:26 PM.

dalej Guest

Glad you joined the group, its a bunch of people with the same interest in bus's that you have. If you have any questions about anything, this is the place. I really like the newer Newell's too, they really have some style on the outside, I have never looked at one on the inside though.

All of our answers to any questions you may have will be unbiased and absolutely correct.

We all had to be careful what we said when we were in the "home", but here in cyberspace we speak nothing but the truth. Welcome to the Prevost asylum.

GDEEN,

I think I am the only other "Oilie Okie" on the board, so welcome and good luck with your search. We need more folks from the Motherland on this board for sure.

I know several Prevost owners who owned Newells, but no Newell owners that owned Prevosts, so take that for what it is worth. Newell had one of their coaches on display at AirVenture in Oshkosh last month and it was plenty nice. I think they do a good job with them. Just not good enough to make me toss the Prevost and go buy one. But I would rather have one than the normal plastic coach for sure.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Welcome to POG.

Most of the new members slide in the back door and are not as open in introducing themselves as you were.

So.

We'd like your Social Security Number(s), past 3 years Federal returns and the 3 things you have never, ever told your wife.

Then Jon will tell you what he does at 4 o'clock every afternoon in his bunker adjacent to The Pit.

It has to do with the SDR.

Have fun. You'll buy a Prevost and you know it. C'mon.

GDeen Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcome Ya'll. I hear you Jerry on the Motherland. Even though I have grown up a Sooner fan, my youngest son is leaning towards a college career in Stillwater so I may need some advice from you there.

Jeff, no problem, just tell me where to forward all the required info. The 3 things I have never told my wife are part of your first demand - my last 3 tax returns. Just keep that on a need to know basis if you would please, and she doesn't need to know.

Look forward to meetin you all one of these days soon.

dalej Guest

Be sure to check the calendar for upcoming events or rallies. Branson in Oct and a couple in april for POG

GDEEN,

Welcome to the forum. I am a Newell owner, 1999 Newell w/2 slides. I have been a member of this forum for a little over a year. I have attended 2 rallies with these guys, and I can tell you that they are first class. You will learn a lot about Prevosts as well as the different converters. Don't be bashful, ask any questions that you have and they will be answered quickly and accurately right on line. These guys know their buses.

If you can attend one of the rallies you will enjoy the "mechanics' corner". It is a how to fix seminar; very informative and entertaining.

Glad to have you on board.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

And the Newell guys travel with hot chicks who back their busses up for them at the RV parks. What's up with that?

[QUOTE=GDeen;16375]Thanks for the welcome Ya'll.

And I would like to add our welcome as well!! We were at the very first POG rally with only 11 coaches and now see how we have grown It's a good thing and a great opportunity to meet folks from all across the country. Ask away, don't be shy like me

Debi