Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Coach Security

win42 Guest

Security
    My previous coach was entered via window at night and burgled. It is a sick feeling to open it up to see all the electronics ripped out and the bedspread ( loot sack) gone. They took figerprints and said they knew who she was, we heard no more from it. I installed an alarm system hooked to the office alarm for parking at that site. I also post signs on doors and windows that say " Motor Home Is Alarmed / Police will Come. No trouble since.
    Recently while packing for a trip I was putting my loaded 454 Casul in the night stand next to my bed. Shirley asked me why I had to put that thing there. I told her " I hope you'll never have to find out "
    California road side rest stops have a history of violence. Stuff you don't
    want to hear about. Come visit us, avoid these stops at night. A few bucks for security may save your lives.
    Harry

matsprt Guest

Default Security

Very interesting comments. Tom, we have something else in common...San Diego PD, now trucks, go figure.
    I have done a ton of things that required me to carry guns. I'm comfortable with that and I travel armed, not out of paranoia but a healthy respect for the unforeseen. Being aware of your surroundings is important. I, like Jon will move given the opportunity. Much less hassle, much less paperwork. But if not given that option bad things will happen. Very hard to predict the outcome of a gunfight, avoid it at all costs.

That old adage about better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...true, but you will question even that once involved with all the agencies that will investigate you, attorney's that depose you and insurance people that just plain bother you. Just plain avoid, avoid, avoid.

I was recently in a campground in Washington. Several coaches (mine included) were broken into via the back bedroom windows. The common target was computers/laptops/printers, etc. I had taken mine with me that morning (my loss = nothing). They missed the gun. Here's a conflict, it's well hidden but easy to get to...I was told that there is actually a roving group that runs around the country targeting MH's. They know where and how to gain entry, they know where the safes are usually installed. And there was a newer Prevost that was not bothered. Lucky them !!

Michael
    Last edited by matsprt; 07-27-2006 at 03:36 PM.

FWIW our coaches had burglar alarms. The first required it to be set before leaving, but my current one operates with a remote like our cars.

I have started using the alarm system since the posts on the Prevost-stuff forum about entry through the rear windows. I accidently set it off in the garage a couple of weeks ago and if I were a bad guy I would be gone because the alarm is loud and annoying. Maybe we all just need to set our alarms.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Simple solution

I will just park my NON-Bling bus next to the LED enhanced rolling palaces......it will achieve two goals....extra area lighting and provide a more lucrative target for thieves!

Michael,
    Good thing for the bad guy you weren't snoozing, there probably would have been one more body bag in the morgue and you would have had lots of paperwork to do.

Like Jon, I have started using my alarm and mine has the window contacts as well, so at least it's a deterent. I know it will arm if the window is opened, but someone breaking the glass and getting in without opening the window may get away with it.

You know the old wisdom, "be aware of your surroundings" and be cocked and locked.

pognumber26 Guest

Default coach security

We had the privelage of attending a four day pistol and shotgun workshop by Frontsite Alaska...We brought the Coach into their compound and included it in our sessions...We learned plenty...We should invite them to design a defensive Coach program for the rallies !!

Cool Any Way You Look At It Someone Lost Their Head

Ran across this piece of old news and thought it would fit in here!
    JIM

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0%2C1...7953%2C00.html

Default What a mess

A shotgun blast to the head inside the coach!!!

That would make Ben's rotten reefer a desireable problem!

I always lock the doors and compartments. However, I believe the best defense is a good large trained dog. when we traveled with ours (he is no longer with us due to age) we really never worried. We have had 2 uncomfortable situations in 12 years of traveling. With that dog the discomfort was for the other people not us. Certainly a gun can defeat the dog; however, you better be good with the gun to win. The police around our farm used to alwways tell me that the best defense for the farm was our dog.

Of course dogs are a major responsibility, and not for everyone.

Kim sloan
    02 Vantare XLII S2
    06 dodge megacab
    awaiting our first POG trip in 2 weeks

Yankee802 Guest

The Cedar City Police Department said Wednesday it was investigating if the use of deadly force is justified. The Iron County Attorney is expected to make a final determination.

Hell yes the use of deadly force is justified, he was protecting his HOME and FAMILY!

I have a few weapons myself, I pray to GOD I never have to use them!

Geoff