Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project of the day- steering rod boot

dalej Guest

Joe,

What's the wire loom doing in there?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

It is the lead for the speed sensor at the spindle.

The old boot being completely gone I do not know how it originally ran but I know it went through that opening and I like this path the best.

This boot is not suppose to allow the drag link to slide back and forth in it but rather it should be clamped tight to it and move with it.

After installation the wheel should be turned from stop to stop to make sure of enough travel. This boot has more than enough if installed correctly.

Dale where does your wires for the speedo run?

dalej Guest

I'm thinking it runs of the transmission.

Petervs Guest

I did mine a different way.

I used tarp material which is thinner and more flexible.

I had used the rubber Prevost type material before and it only lasted 2 years. The tarp stuff looks good as new 3 years later. See my earlier thread on this.

Also, I used contact cement to glue the overlapping parts together, worked great.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...light=steering

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Our boot was completely gone so I had no clue as to its demise, I just assumed it got too old.

One thing I noticed was the way it could possibly snag on the screws that go through and fasten it to the bulkhead.

After seeing Peters old boot and the way it shredded I am going to go back and put some type of rubber cap or cover on those screws.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-01-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Default Drag link boot

A friend had his drag link boot replace by Prevost and they installed a hose clamp around the boot and drag link at the small end inside the lower driver's compartment. My bus does not have this clamp. Is the clamp a normal thing or the Tech's idea?
    If the clamp is to be used, what type of clamp and any special instructions as to how the boot is to be folded, how far from the end of the boot is the clamp installed?

Thanks for the help.

The reality is the boot has the life span of a gnat. Once the original boot tears, rips, shreds, or otherwise fails to function as intended Prevost owners, and I am sure the techs get creative.

I have the ultimate solution which may not be universally acceptable. I ignore it. I tend to worry about a whole lot of other things on my bus and that $2.00 piece of thin rubber Prevost deems acceptable for a $450,000 shell is not one of them. Shame on Prevost.

Jon, don't you worry about the road dirt and water that is allowed into that bay by a bad boot ? I am cleaning and treating rust in that bay as we speak, don't want to add to that with a torn or improperly installed boot.

Sorry but I am new what is a drag link boot where is it what does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Sorry but I am new what is a drag link boot where is it what does it do?
    I'm not new here, but ditto Gary's question - "what is a drag link boot, where is it, and what does it do?"