Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Hauling

ken&ellen Guest

Default Vee Nosed MC trailer

Ellen & I use the Vee nosed trailer and try to tailor our trip around the Harley.
    On trips were we do not plan a ride we, like Tom, take the Jeep. Our trailer has a dressing area for the riding gear. Besides keeping the bike clean and dry we pad lock the doors for security purposes. If the weather goes belly up at a distant destination........we rent a economy car! Ken & Ellen

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

Default Reply to everyone

1. Prevost engineer's comment: He is not comfortable at all with this option. He said that this installation will create great forces and bending moments in the structural members and it may results in vibrations and also structural damages. He also mentioned that by moving the trailer hitch is not a good idea either.

2. I have always like the SRT10 so it was my first interest. Then thinking about it, I am in the Bio-Diesel transport biz and should support it with a diesel, so I called Ford and they told me F150 and F250 are not flat towable. Doesn't anybody like me? What diesel pick ups are towable?

3. After just buying the coach, yes...so I can go riding in other places then flat old Florida. Well I am not ready to spend another 10 grand right now. I like now nor do I want the hassel of going into camps with a trailer.. I am still a virgin so not sure what I mean, but I thought the pick up idea was easy. We have a Land Rover Sport I would put in the trailer with the bike if I went that way. Sooooooo confused. Thought I would just trade in the Land Rover and it would be easy. I also dont like the thought of my bike being dirty. You guys are not helping.

4. We are travelling with our pets..my wife wants a 4 wheeler there in case of anything. The rental sound good if available. Maybe just get a small enclose bike trailer that I can sell when I upgrade to a stacker. Anything I should be aware of having a small trailer flopping behind me?

5. Maybe I will win the lotto this week and then it won't matter. Does anyone have this coming weeks winning numbers?

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

Default Update from Ford

"TO FLAT TOW AN F150 YOU WILL NEED A NEUTRAL TOW KIT."
    So the first Ford guy wanted me to buy a Dodge or Chevy!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Any 2WD, rear wheel drive P-U is towable 4 wheels down, with the correct equipment.

Jeff & Bert, Everyone likes you, , but I for one don't want to spend your money. Well I do, but it's better if you slow down decide what you want then run it by the group and sure as S you will either get high fives or shot down.
    There are a lot of variations on this theme and you have heard some.
    I think you would be better off with a GM product if you want to tow 4 DWN.
    Their sales brochures tell what vehicles are towable as that is a selling feature they have picked up on currently.
    I do know that a conventional 4X4 pickup is towable just put the transfer case in neutral and go.
    A nice Duramax Diesel in a 2500 HD 4X4 Silverado would be just fine. How long is the Bike?, for bed size! You have that dimension.
    An Avalanche would be nice ,but I don't think the bed is long enough and may not be available in diesel.
    The Hummer and Avalanche both have special buttons to push to setup for towing probably Escalade also.
    In one of your early posts you said you were going Harley Ford, well the Ford turned me off.
    Didn't want you to think I didn't like you though so here's my GM recommendations that you probably don't like

Just keep working on the problem and the answer will appear!!!!

lewpopp Guest

Jeff,

You seem to want to jump before you look. Stop the loyalty to ford. They'll forgive you. Jim has the idea.

I have an idea to increase your chances of winning the lottery.

BUY A TICKET

Lew

So many questions, so little time. I say look around and see how others are solving the very same problem. There is only a finite number of variables . Write them down and list the pros and cons for each. Then you will narrow your choices.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

ken&ellen Guest

Default Wild hitch for MC

Ellen & I are here in Virginia Beach and in comes a Alfa 5th wheel with a motorcycle in tow. This strange looking device holds the front tire and the rear wheel of the bike is on the ground. This retired Marine has been towing his Harley with this device for the past three years of full timing! Maybe I can get a picture of it and post it? Ken & Ellen

ken&ellen Guest

Default Wild hitch for MC

Found a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FWIW a Dodge with the Cummins diesel, 4WD is towable. With the 4WD you can have an automatic or manual trannie and still tow.

At this year's Liberty rally at least two of the bikers had a lift in the bed of the pickups that allowed ground level loading of the bike and then the carrier was hydraulically or electrically raised and set onto the pickup bed.