Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Hauling

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

Thumbs up Bike Hauling

The guys here know their stuff so I am back and will stay. At first I heard but did not listen, so I continued my research. I am talking about a bike lift on the back of the coach. Ya all were sooooo right and after three weeks of going back and forth with the lift maker, Liberty and Prevost the final reply from the Prevost engineer was ..NO! DONT DO IT! AT first he said 1,000 pound was acceptable at 8 inches...We won't go there!
    Dam, the bike was the major reason for the coach. Needing a car also we have reviewed trailering or towing. Final result is going to buy a pick up and put a ramp in it.
    Now I have many more questions. I did not like the motor ramps, I found fold ups called Safe-T-Ramp which attaches to the truck hitch. Any coments?
    What is the best tow bar and brake set up? How do I find out if a truck is flat towable without taking everyones word? I wanted a SRT10, heard that wont work, so a Harley Ford is next. Thanks again for being right!
    Last edited by Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a); 05-29-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

dalej Guest

Jeff, It sounds like you do not want to pull a trailer, right? We have friends that have marathon #399 and he started pulling a F150 with a heritage softail in the back. He found that when ever he got to where he was going he had to wash the truck and then the bike. He didn't like all the work so he bought a 20' bull nose and hauls a jeep wrangler and his bike, very happy.

Hi has a side ramp door for the bike.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

You can put a 2-piece drive shaft, that disingages, on an SRT-10 and pull it 4 wheels down.

It incorporates a sliding splined coller, that is cable opporated from the cab.

I pull a 1/2 ton Dodge 2WD 4 wheels down.

I have also been told that there is an electricly opporated version of this as well but I have never seen one.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-29-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Orren Zook Guest

Blue Ox has several lifts for motorcycles and some can also be used to tow a car or truck all wheels down, here's the link their web page: http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/carriers.htm maybe something there can suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) View Post
    The guys here know their stuff so I am back and will stay. At first I heard but did not listen, so I continued my research. I am talking about a bike lift on the back of the coach. Ya all were sooooo right and after three weeks of going back and forth with the lift maker, Liberty and Prevost the final reply from the Prevost engineer was ..NO! DONT DO IT! AT first he said 1,000 pound was acceptable at 8 inches...We won't go there!
    Dam, the bike was the major reason for the coach. Needing a car also we have reviewed trailering or towing. Final result is going to buy a pick up and put a ramp in it.
    Now I have many more questions. I did not like the motor ramps, I found fold ups called Safe-T-Ramp which attaches to the truck hitch. Any coments?
    What is the best tow bar and brake set up? How do I find out if a truck is flat towable without taking everyones word? I wanted a SRT10, heard that wont work, so a Harley Ford is next. Thanks again for being right!
    Can you tell me what the Prevost engineer said potentially could happen if a lift is installed?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Jeff,

I have the same dilemma and don't want to pull a big trailer. I have to take the Jeep or the Hog, but can't do both. You probably researched all these lifts, but Rampage makes a nice one for a pickup. http://www.sportslift.com/cycletoylift2.html

lewpopp Guest

"DAMN, THE BIKE WAS THE MAJOR REASON FOR THE COACH" Do we have that correct?

Let me think this one out....... You only need one finger to count the number of people that get a coach for that reason. A lot of us got tha P's for a lot of screwey reasons, but I think you have the cart before the horse.

Alright, alright, I don't have a bike so what do I know about it. Too many of my friends have been chopped in half on them there things. It's all a matter of luck.

Lew

Jeff,

Toybox knows a guy named Mike who flat tows an SRT10 with a Harley in the bed, you may want to check in with him. Mike used to tow his Harley in a trailer but found it to be a hassle so went to the SRT10.

Richard Beecher
    96 Vogue XL 40 with 24' trailer
    The Beechbus

Well I ended up getting the Excursion to tow around. I put on it and M & G engineering for braking, Blue Ox 10K tow bar and brackets to pull with and a REMCO driveline disconnect as discribed above. The best option I think to get their stubb kit and have a local and good driveline shop modify your driveline. I first bought the driveline from REMCO but ended up returning it twice before I got the stubb kit and had a local guy modify the DL. easy to work with someone local then thru the mail. If REMCO has a DL that matches your it would probably OK, but if they sound like they have done it but not too many time don't go there. Some of these new driveline have expensive parts and REMCO can't duplicate it and stay in budget.

If I hadn't gotten the "Oh we can do it" from REMCO I would never had bought the Excursion. But they told me it was a slam dunk, NOT.

GregM

By the way I saw a guy that had a SmartCar setup to haul off wheels behind his Bus. I never saw it lifted but he told everyone folks he could. I saw this last year at BUS'nUSA.

GregM