Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bike Hauling

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

Default Correction..You guys are trying to hard to be tuff.

I don't care about Ford, GM or Dodge. I think they are all problems. I have German and English cars with alot less issues then US made. I was an Auto parts mfg until China destoryed the market, I know something about the american car makers. Not much, just a little. The brand I look at is cosmedics and conforts only, the rest is only as good as the dealer's service department.

Bummer the sales people don't know any of this. I ask them, they research it and they give bad info. Am I surprized? Are you?

I hope I don't jump..I thought I was getting info. But with the confusion I just might...Crap, there are no cliffs in Fla and I close my eyes going on bridges.

Looks like the advice I'm leaning to is a bike trailer and forget about also taking 4 wheels. Looked today at Haulmark Edge. I think the value wont take to much of a beating if I decide to change the plan later on. I have been looking for used ones but to save only 25% I rather go new and pick a color to match the coach.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Will keep you updated on what I find out........... Oh yeah, forget about that Marine's bike carrier, thats all I am saying about it.

Jeff,

My trailer for the bike is a 6 X 12 Avenger and I have dragged it all over the country for 8 years with no problems. Here's a few things to look for on a trailer:

Torsion bar suspension instead of spring, much better ride
    Rear jacks that can be lowered so you can ride the hog in when unhooked
    "V" nose if you can, gives you a tighter turn radius without hitting the bus
    Dual axle with brakes would be nice
    Dovetail frame makes the trailer lower to the ground
    Make sure you have enough door height if you have a dresser or windshield

Good luck...

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

Thanks Tom,
    I thought I had it all covered except the V nose. Is it really important? I picked out a Haulmark, 8.5 x 12, tandom, but no "V". Something more now to consider.
    Jeff

Jeff,

I saw a guy while backing up jack it around too short and poke a big dent in his trailer, maybe because he didn't have a long enough tongue. When I bought mine, they offered an extended tongue and I didn't get it. Now that the V noses are out, that seemed like a good way to get a little more clearance for those tight spots.

Sounds like a nice one your looking at, I didn't even know you could get a 102 wide in a 12 footer. Post a pic if you buy it.

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

You can find it at the Haulmark site.

http://www.haulmark.com/php/products...ype=MOTORCYCLE

Still undecided which way I am going.

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Jeff and Bert:
    Towed a small trailer for many years when motorcycling. Other than when I specifically go to a M/c rally I have quit trying to mix the leasure time.

When I want to ride my bike, I saddle it up and go. This is still my preferred method of touring.
    When i want to play coach, I do that.

Trying to do both doesn't seem to do justice to either.

On occassion, I tow a BMW 650 on a very small trailer that I can manhandle easily--posted a picture here somewhere.

By the way, 4WD Ford ranger will hack it--big bike rear wheels hang out a bit but doesn't matter with one of those racks that you can load bike on the ground then an electric/hydraulic set up lifts the whole thing into the truck. Alternatively, all towns have loading docks with a ramp somewhere. Real handy on and off.

About every six months or so I saddle up the big beemer--K1200LT--and go see my kids--in Dallas and Las Vegas

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a) Guest

Thanks,
    I found a nice used 21 ft Paace, tall with A/C, lights, 3 doors and matches my Coach as is. I think it will hold our Land Rover and two Hogs. Trying to cut a deal on it. If anyone hears of anything else out there please let me know. I need it by mid July. My wife nixed the pick up as I was going to get rid of a car for it and she was fearful she would be driving it.