Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40' or 45' Question

niles Guest

Default 40' or 45' Question

We are shopping for a used Series 60 Prevost - under $300K ... after looking at several very beautiful coaches the question has come down to 40 or 45. We are currently living in California, but intend to full-time for a few years so the extra space of the 45' is very tempting. Our question to POG members is what are the disadvantages of a 45' in respect to road, parking and campground restrictions? Are all states as restrictive of 45's as California?

Lee Bornstein Guest

Niles:
    We have a 40' XL Liberty, we live in it full time and prefer the 40' unit because it allows us access to many of the National Park and National Forest Campgrounds that we visit.

Wife and I would like the additional space a 4 slide 45' coach provides but with 45' most of the places we visit are too small for that size coach.

Lee

Also remember that technically you need to get a Class B (modified) license to drive a 45 motorhome in CA. I believe it's only in CA, but that's where I live too. There has been previous discussion of issues traveling the 10 FWY through Blythe.

Ray

Except for the previously mentioned issues a 45 foot coach is a huge improvement over a 40 foot coach in terms of livability.

We've had both and we will not go back.

Niles, if you want to get a clear picture of the direction you want to go ask the question in this way......

For 40 foot coach owners, would you step up to a 45 footer?

For 45 foot coach owners, would you step back to a 40 footer?

Troy Stone Guest

I have a 40'...If you can find a 45', go 45' and prevent the 45' envy my wife has!

Next if ever will be 45'. Right now my current rig is working so well I am not sure if I will ever "need" another one.

Then the question begs...XL or H?

We thougth the 40' coach would forever fit our needs, but we will have a 45' coach next time. That extra 5 feet is like adding a whole addition to your house (10% larger), so after being in and around and driving a 45'er, we will have one.

But I would have been challanged to park one at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. I had to straddle those poles in the back then lower the coach to level it with one of the poles sticking up in the engine compartment.

Ben Guest

I've been living full-time in a 40'er and it has the just the right amount of space for me... but I live alone and I could see how extra space would be useful if I were to add a girlfriend to the mix.

I have been tempted by one 45'er, but it's more for the features it has that I would like (like a shore cord reel, keyless entry, stacked washer/dryer, etc.) than it's length.

My opinion is that the layout, interior decor, etc is more important than the length. I would not turn down a 40'er that had a perfect layout and the right style... but if I was not able to find exactly what I wanted, then I'd most likely go with a 45'er because having the extra space gives you more flexibility.

I have run into quite a few places where I wouldn't be able to park a 45'er and a few where I wouldn't want to drive one (or wouldn't be legal to do so)... like Big Sur, CA. You'll have to evaluate how often you plan to park in the real sticks and research where you can park a 45'er. It's just like having a 40'er compared to a 27' RV... the longer it is, the more limited your parking options are... you won't notice it so much unless you start with a smaller rig and trade up to a larger one. If you start with a 45'er, then places you can't park are just like what it's like in a 40'er in that you simply ignore them and find a place you can park.

Suggestion: read a book called "The 4-hour work week" by Timothy Ferriss (even if you're retired). I just finished it. It's the best book I've ever read and has the possibility of changing the way I approach life... after reading it, I'd consider buying a smaller rig and traveling the world... no need to retire. I'd be more concerned with if my rig would fit in a shipping container than if it would fit in a campground.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Ben right

I was reading this thread but Ben took the words out of my mouth. A good floorplan on a 40' can beat a bad floor plan on a 45'. Of course a good floorplan on the 45' is the way to go.

Ben and I both skip the RV parks most of the time so the lenght restriction is immaterial depending on your style of traveling. I've heard that a lot of older folks prefer the 40' as it is easier for them to manage and manuever. I'm doing my 2nd stint in NYC with a 45' and get around just fine but do admit that the vodka drink after going through the city is almost mandatory.

One thing not mentioned yet would be if you were going to consider towing a trailer and if you gave a darn about the legal overall length. I pulled that 30' trailer all the way from CA to FL without any question with my 45' rig and I'm pulling another trailer now (not through the city) and have yet to be questioned going from FL to Dallas and up through Ohio to NJ where I've left it stored until shoving off to Florida (tommorow). I guess it's just a matter of time but so far Johnny law man has just watched me cruise on by. I have to admit that negotiating intersection turns with that trailer is hairy. A 22" stacker would be perfect if I get ready to build one.

I'd buy the one you find with the floor plan you like and the one that is the better deal. Oh , did I mention I have the 2004 45' Angola for sale ? (shamless plug).

niles Guest

Thanks for all the input ... now I'm really confused! Guess we will continue to look and shop ... The floor plans that best suit our needs have been Parliament conversions ... anyone have an opinion, pro or con, on Parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bayley View Post
    did I mention I have the 2004 45' Angola for sale ? (shamless plug).

No hold on Jeff....... You have a 2004 45' Angola, or a 1994 45' Angola? I just wanted to get the facts straight, or is too late after the Vodka Martina or two ????

Have you tried a Bombay Blue Sapphire Gin, Martini, OOOOOH SO SMOOTH.

Gary S