Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: paint?

dalej Guest

I have waited one month for Bill to post his before and after photos of his newly painted bus. He has drug his feet to long, so here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dale. I believe the picture was posted before.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Bruce, I'm really surprised that it would need a paint job. I could see a detail job but a whole paint job
    redo. For that year of coach that hasn't been used very much. Does it look like it sat outside most of
    the time?
    Hello Dale,

The coach had a rather unique ( but straight forward) color scheme.During the original building of the coach at the factory, they were using a Sikkens paint product that required a certain amount of curing time. We have a rather large stripe at the top of the stainless that runs around the coach, Navy Blue, with yellow in the middle and silver on up to the aluminum. There were a few places along this stripe line that the paint was pealing, straight down to the stainless. I do not think the surface was prepped properly. Anyway, to get this right, we needed to blast off all of the striping and start over. We like the stripe. During this process we also noticed a small split at the top of the rear cap near the exhaust for the generator, ( the owner wanted his exhaust vented in the rear out of the top of the coach, and through the engine compartment) and some popped rivets ( we have an observation deck on top, I think it causes a force against the roof) on the top of the coach. We also wanted to change out the fenders to fiberglass and paint them to match. So one thing went on to another, and we decided to go all the way.I am adetail nut, and probably went overboard. As for the coach sitting out. I suspect it did from time to time, especially when it was at Marathon. It was left there a lot by the owners driver when the owner was back in Europe. The paint looked good from the get go, but I wanted it to look like new. It's at a stainless buffing and waxing shop in Coburg now getting this done. The owner of the shop asked me today if he can put it on his website. he says it looks brand new. I hope he is right? Bruce

bill&jody Guest

wow dale. nice pics!
    where'd you get those, anyway?

and gary, thanks for defending me. :-)

wmm

dalej Guest

Bill, Jan took the top one in SD this summer and I stole, I mean borrowed the bottom one from Debi's Farm POG highlights.

Just in case you missed it, http://picasaweb.google.com/castleri...ey=LTqJ26O3pKA

Bruce, could you post the name and contact info for the polishing shop in Coberg? Is this the same guys that do all of Marathons polishing on there new buses?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Erion View Post
    Bruce, could you post the name and contact info for the polishing shop in Coberg? Is this the same guys that do all of Marathons polishing on there new buses?
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Hello Kevin,

I suspect so. Chris Welch is head of Marathon's paint department and has been guiding me through the process. He told me on Thursday that he was taking the coach to the Buffing & Waxing shop in town, off premise location. He says this is the only company they use.
    Chris Welch
    Paint Division Manager / Assistant Service Manager
    Marathon Coach Inc.
    91333 Coburg Industrial Way
    Coburg, Oregon 97408-9432
    Toll Free-(800) 234-9991
    Business-(541) 343-9991
    Mobile-(541) 228-6599
    Fax- (541) 345-0557
    cwelch@marathoncoach.com

Bruce, thanks, I might have to make a trip to have my bus polished.

Bruce,

How much do they charge to polish the s.s.?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I remember a figure of about $2200.00 Tuga. I believe its a 4-5 day job depending on the amount of Stainless. I think Harry was the one who mentioned the price.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide