Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyocera KR1 Router

Default Kyocera KR1 Router

Well I have decided to break down and install one of these before the California trip. And I know Mike has one in his coach (along with anyone parked next to him), but I think Mike needs this new option;

GPS Module for the Kyocera KR1 Router

Yep you can plug this GPS into the router and then everyone at the POG can follow your progress on Google Earth. How sweet is that?

Installation is simple. Place the Garmin magnetic mount GPS on your vehicle's roof:

Attach the Garmin to your KR1 and plug the KR1 into your vehicle for power:

Then we can see if MangoMike is in the Church of Love parking lot or cruising to the beach looking for Corona Kellys replacement.

So, that sounded pretty darn cool, until I read:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/1987/64/

Evidently this only works with the KR1 router (expected), but it requres the use of a EVDO card (not expected). I guess that makes sense, for it to update continuously you need (1) the gps working and (2) an active internet connection via your computer.

I doesn't quite make sense that I couldn't use this via my satellite, although not while mobile!

The DataStorm users group have something pretty cool which uses google earth, or a special page on the datastormusers.com website. We could easily incorporate something like this here (an update to Dale's map).

The DS users post their GPS position (it happens semi-automatically through the Datastorm dish in this case), and their forum software creates a google like page, viewing where members are, or also does a google earth version.

To see how this works click on http://map.datastormusers.com/
    click on any users name links at the bottom, and you'll see a map with them (and any others in the area) around, at different zoom levels.

from the previous page, if you want to see the google earth version, click on the google earth icon on the right hand side of the page (near top).

It's pretty cool stuff, and we could easily do something similar. With a lot of us on the road so much, it would be a great way to keep up on everyone. The hardest part about any of us doing it is that we don't have a consistent way to put in our current location. But, I think I could work around that!

Ray

Lee Bornstein Guest

I use the MotoSat/DataStorm system while stationary.

Lee
    Here's where I am today.
    http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2352

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Curious about your set up there

Jerry-

What are the other uses of your set up with the router thing ? I take it your using this to allow your wireless connection to work through out the bus. I use two lap tops (1 for me , 1 for Stefanny) and just use one Verizon card for each computer to simplify. The gadget on top you say............the GPS; do you know how this is different than the Microsoft Streets and Trips I use which also comes with a sensor like this ? I take it that if it plugs into your router then everyone on your bus with wi/fi get's to use the GPS.

To the Data Storm guys.
    I've stopped thinking about getting a Data Storm alltogether for now. I use my connection to much while in motion and the Verizon card allows for that. I read some of the Data Storm Forums and found most of the guys had Verizon cards for back up that they fell back on frequentley. I have enough trouble keeping all the other stuff on the bus working and elected not to take on one more layer of maintainence or hair pullling stuff. I've been waiting for something "new and improved" to hit the market. Is anything on the horizon ? I can't see where it is possible to do away with the major piece of hardware since you have to beem a signal into outerspace.

Jeff,

Verizon (type) cards are fine IF:

1. You are always in a good digital cell area.
    2. You don't need more than about 0.5Mb throughput

Yes, I have to agree that if you spend a lot of time on the Datastorm forum, you hear about a lot of problems. I do think a lot of that is, however, because you generally don't hear when things are working as expected. So, the majority of the reason to post on Datastomusers.com, is when you have a problem.

I think if an outsider reads the POG forum, he might also get the idea that these buses don't run either. Although we do tend to have a bit more posts about "just went here, had fun" type of stuff.

Kathy and I attended the MotoSat rally last October, in Kerrville. About 110 coaches at that rally. The one that stood out vs. a POG rally was that about 70 percent were full timers! Also, they in many, many cases raved how they couldn't have done it without their Motosat unit.

Are they perfect? No. Is there anything better? No, probably not. But, for many folks an EVDO card is plenty.

My work requirements make it such that I opted for a bigger than normal dish, so that I could get high speed internet (higher speed if I was willing to pay more for it)

Ask Ben Wilmore about his EVDO card out at Kerrville, and how he used my system to get some critical files for his new book!

The real-time tracking that this router offers with the GPS is interesting. But, I think we (POG) could still use a tracking system, even though it's not real time, and perhaps not even GPS driven. I am looking into writing something that may be usable by our group.

Ray

dreadnought Guest

Which Verizon (type) card has the best coverage? And the best deal? Yeah, I know this has been covered before, but I need to get one and know all this changes by the minute.

I have the Broadband Access plan which is $79 per mo. and I use the Kyocera KPC650 wireless card.

Ben Guest

I have a Verizon card, but have been thinking about adding a satellite setup. I'm currently near Sedona, AZ and the Verizon card gets between no signal and one bar. That's not uncommon when you're parked in the sticks.

If I get a satellite setup, then I'll also keep my Verizon card for times when I'm in motion, don't feel like putting up the dish (like when I'm just stopped for a moment and want a weather report), or when I fly to a city and don't feel like paying $9.95 a night to check my e-mail on the hotel's system.

I'm a full-timer and the dual setup sounds ideal... I just haven't talked myself into forking over the $5500 it might cost for the hardware/install.

From what I've heard, the upload speed will be about the same as a Verizon card (when the card has a good signal) and the download speed should be faster and more consistent in speed when compared to the V card.

I can't believe I've gone a full year without a satellite setup... I think I'd have more hair on my head if I were to have bought one from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    Which Verizon (type) card has the best coverage? And the best deal? Yeah, I know this has been covered before, but I need to get one and know all this changes by the minute.
    Bill, Peg and I too have a Verizon Card for Internet Access, while traveling on the road. It has worked remarkeable well for us. We don't travel as much as lots of the guys, so we didn't get as many minutes as some of them did. We opted for the 40mg / month plan, for $40. It has worked well for us so far.

I believe Verizon has the Largest Nationwide Network coverage of any provider ?

Gary S

Ben,

Get a new phone while your at it!