Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan Belt Problems

Hey King, that bottom bellows is a bi... to get the bolt in. I used a deep socket with some tape to hold the bolt in place. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get to it. That will be $5.00 for the tip please..

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Rodger

Our regulater for the belts was leaking pretty good and I was able to completly stop it by tightening the bolts at the flange for the diaphram.

Default Hey Lew

Lew,

FYI. I replaced my dash air compressor after talking with Don Arlett, the Mira Loma CA Prevost Service Mgr. He suggested that it probably wasn't necessary to convert to R134a refrigerant but to use an R12 substitute which is much cheaper and will not require changing any hoses. He also told me their new compressors have a much improved shaft seal which is why they usually fail. The cost of the new compressor was around $240 and we are now using "AutoFrost" http://www.refrigerantsales.com/autofrost.html
    instead of R12. The system has worked perfectly since we made the change last fall.

Hey Brian, Whats up with this post to Lew about Freon on my Fan Belt Problem post. Just for this you should slove my problem or I'm turning you into the Thread Police !

By the way, How are you and Beverly.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

New belts installed. Found no problems with any bearings or pulleys. I installed both new belts plus the three that run the transmission for the fan blades with the belt names and numbers lined up together. After running the engine for a few minutes to check alignment I shut it down and discovered none of the names or numbers on the belts were even close to each other ! Wonder whats up with that. I dont understand how matched belts running on the same pulleys can turn at different revolutions.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Because while the belts are probably very close to exactly the same, their overall length can vary by a few thousandths, and thus after some engine running time nothing will be aligned.

Every time I stop the coach, I have to go in the back and line mine up again, just in case someone wants to see my engine.

Looks like you will have to do the same.

Jim,

Make sure you have the correct pressure set for the bellows, it's above the door.

I just used a Sharpie marker and blacked out the numbers so I wouldn't have that alignment problem. You can't own an 8V92 and be hyper anal.

Question Are You Serious Or What:

Jim, Not only does the belt length have to do with your mystery, but also the diameter of the pulley, and whether the shafts they run on are exactly parallel. The only way for the belts to stay matched in position would be if everything were perfect, which is not very likely. You could change everything over to use a toothed cog belt if you needed, but you don't, so live with it.

If you are interested in having some fun and something to do, mark the belt with some white marks measured out along its length. Run the engine and you will see them move around in relation to each other.

If you can get hold of a stroboscope / strobotach you will be surprised at what you will see. It would show up movement and or slippage between the belt and the shive.

http://www.contractor-books.com/EX/461830_31.htm

If you were just joking around. Never mind

Default Autofrost

In response to BrianE's Autofrost post, I'm a new member with an 89 Liberty. I converted my drivers air to 134a and performance is reduced, as expected. I get a 28 degree drop across the evaporator, when the coach is 88 degrees inside, it blows 60 degree air out until the coach cools, (which it doesn't on a hot day). and I have to run the roof airs till it cools. Does the Autofrost do any better?