Thread: Battery balance light

Default Battery balance light

Driving I-95 yesterday, battery balance light started flashing then stayed on full time. Pulled in next rest stop. Checked all connections, all were tight and no signs of heat. Checked both Vannor's (chassis & house), chassis one was OK, house green led on Vannor was not lit and voltage reading were 27.1 & 14.3. Started generator, balance light went out, but Vannor still had same readings as noted.

Recently had all the house bank of batteries out to replace a R-14 relay valve. Check all the 4 year old batteries at that time, all but one checked OK. The one that was weak was still good but not as good as the others.
    Do I have a bad Vannor or maybe that one battery is giving up. On the road an no time for in depth diagnosis right now. Not sure why running the generator makes the balance light go out but the voltage is still not within proper parameters.

Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Chuck:

Are we talking about the balance light on the dash? I always assumed that this would monitor the chassis batteries only. I would think that the house battery Vanner would have its own monitoring system. If it is the dash light, and the chassis vanner has a green light, then it might be the monitor that is bad. I have read that these fail more than the Vanner itself.

To check the Vanner you need to have the green light on. If it is not on and it is working properly, turn on some larger 12 volt loads and the green light should illuminate. With the green light on, check the voltage between the 12V and GND terminals. Then check it between the 12V and 24V terminals. The 12V/24V measurement should be equal to or not greater than +0.1V compared to the 12V/GND measurement. As an example, if the 12V/GND reading was 13 volts, the 12V/24V reading should be between 13 and 13.1 volts.

So, let us know what balance light was on and how the above test works.

BTW, with the readings you provided, I assume that the engine was running? I would do the test without it running.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Hi Mark:
    Have done the test with the Eng running and off, Same results. Featherlite said they do tie the house Vanner into the dash light too.
    Called Vanners custom coach and bus division, they said most likely a bad ground or one of the batteries in the bank is going out. Have arranged to borrow a AGM battery tester tomorrow. Will update once I know more.
    Chuck
    P.S. Hope it is a battery, that’s cheaper than a Vanner LOL
    Also green LED on Vanner has never come on.
    Last edited by Ck2hans; Today at 03:51 PM.
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel