Thread: Cargo Bay Door Struts

Default Cargo Bay Door Struts

I have reviewed the Forum and cant find the answer to the following question. Has anyone recorded the Napa part number that crosses over to the Prevost Cargo Bay Door Strut number ? I'm hoping someone has this information to cut down on a lot of research time.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

dalej Guest

Jim, If you need them call me. I have replacements ordered. Should be in within a few weeks, back ordered. I get them direct so they run $20 for 200 pound. I ordered 50. I think 250 pound are the same price. 10 mm ball.

If your not in a big hurry, let me know.

Dale, And I thought I was in the parts and service business. What in the world are you doing with $1,000.00 worth of Gas Struts in inventory up there in Nebraska ? We might need to take a trip up there sometime to see what other goodies you have in stock.

I read the Jerry Winchester installation procedure and I think I am ready to install 10 to 12 of those babies. I'm tired of helping the doors raise themselves up the rest of the way then looking around in campsites to see if anyone was watching. I want these cargo bay doors to jump to attention when I give the a nudge.

Two of my doors have chairs stored on the inside so I will probably need different struts for those doors.

I don't know how to get your phone number so the best # to give you of mine is my daytime office number of 727 397 2665. If the shocks you have coming in will fit my coach I would like to be in the purchase line.

Thanks, Jim Keller

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

lewpopp Guest

Dale, are the 200# adequate for the XL doors. Under what circumstances would you use the 250#?

Lew

dalej Guest

Lew, the 200 # are good unless you hang things e.g. chairs, hoses, cables. The 250 # make it a bit harder to close without the added weight of your stuff.

It's easy to think the heavier the better, but you have to compress the two springs when closing.

dalej Guest

Jim, I buy them in quantity to save POG member some money. Gas springs is a maintaince item that everyone will need to replace.

I'm trying to post members mailing address and phone numbers at the bottom of member location map. Check it out under quick links then POG map, then scroll down.

bill&jody Guest

i replaced a bunch of 'em. i weighed one of the large doors, 75 pounds, and calculated what would be adequate to just balance the door - came out to approx 2 180# struts. i ordered 190 pounders from intl bus. for the 75# door, they may be a bit too strong, but i suspect they'll weaken over time and use. some other doors (as yet not weighed) seem to be perfectly matched.

wmm

Points of note:

Generator door weighs more as has additional insulation.

Some Marathon coaches have chairs stored on the inside of the doors.

Mike

bill&jody Guest

right you are. i weighed mine by putting a 2x4 under the door, then put a bathroom scale under the 2x4, then pop off the existing struts.

a little care is in order here to avoid getting banged up, tho.

Petervs Guest

Hi All,
    I have replaced a bunch of these struts over the years. It is nice to have them pop up to attention when you open them. Colder weather seems to make the doors sag more.

Brian pointed me to a company, Orr and Orr, who sells the struts for about $22 each. I have a Marathon 45 foot coach, and some doors have things hanging from the inside and some do not. It is usually easier to reach one strut than the other since the back end often goes into a hard to reach place.

I have found, when replacing only one strut on any bay door that that is enough extra boost to do the job.

I buy the highest rated struts ( 260 pounds) and they work great.

http://www.orrorr.com/productNEW.asp?TID={68B97492-7927-4EF1-BDB4-75570400CBB2}&IID=767