Thread: Electrical problem

Default Electrical problem

1999 H3 Featherlite problem. On the way home from having my engine starter and a battery charger replaced I had a new electrical issue. During the 1.5 hour trip home, twice I had the dash lights all illuminate, like when you first turn the key one position to the right before starting. Only for a brief second or two. The engine hickuped, but then everything went back to normal, with the exception of the bus air turning off.
    Since the old starter weighed 70 pounds and the mechanic was working alone, I thought maybe there was a loose ground or a cracked fitting from wrestling the starter out of the starboard rear engine compartment? Couldn't find anything.
    Then I turned on the interior accent lights and they were very dim - barley lit up? Any ideas?

Kind of sounds like two different problems? The illuminated dash lights and engine hiccup sound like a momentary loss of chassis power. You are probably correct in starting to search for a poor connection near the recent starter work. This would include battery connections, connections to the equalizers, alternator etc.

I assume that the accent lights are on the coach system not the chassis. Was the coach running or were you plugged in when you noticed that these were dim, or were you on house batteries only?

Also, Featherlite is still around, you might call them as well.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I had a similar problem on a '72 Ford Ranger pickup. (I know they're exactly alike electrically....)
    The problem was a loose 12v wire that was rubbing against the exhaust manifold and periodially shorting out.

Lesson: keep an open mind for loose wires that move unexpectedly during vehicle travel. Prevost is pretty good about securing all wires, so be suspicious about wires that have movement to them, they shouldn't.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/