Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webasto Intermittent Operation

It is not hard to change the nozzle, I would do that just to be sure. There can be some minor stuff in the lines that will foul the nozzle. You still need to figure out why it has to be below 50 deg as well right?

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I already know that I need to change out the ignition module. It only works when the outside temperature is about 50 or below. I was started to have problems with ignition when spark and fuel was there, so solving one issue at a time.

Talked to Rudy. He recommended two things that could be wrong. First is nozzle. He said the same thing that it can be spraying but if it is not the proper mist, it will not ignite.

Second thing he mentioned was that sometimes if the electrode gap is not properly set, it starts arcing to the casing when the unit is closed. That leads the arc away from the fuel spray. He recommended that I change the nozzle first to see if that works. If that doesn’t work, I will need to check if it is arcing to the enclosure. I have set the electrode gap using the tool that is mounted on the motor casing, so I should not be that far off from proper gap. Hope nozzle works. It should be here in a couple of days.

Regards, Shahzad Lateef
    Shahzad Lateef
    2003 Marathon H3-45
    Double Slide

Shahzad:

FYI I purchased my nozzle from Walmart online. That’s right Walmart, exact same nozzle you would get from Webasco and a lot less. Couldn’t believe it until I received it and installed it.

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Continue to chase the gremlins in my Webasto.

Cold weather operation was restored. It was the electrode gap that was not on the right spot in the fuel stream. So even though I could see arcing and I could see the fuel spray, the arc needs to be in the perfect spot within the fuel spray for ignition to take place. It was rookie mistake on my part as I set the electrode gap tool on the nozzle and it needed to be on the nozzle holder. That put the electrodes a little further from the fuel nozzle than they needed to be. I adjusted that and Webasto started working just fine - in cold ambient temperatures.

Now into the second part. I know the problem is with the ignition module. Using the tester, I can see that the ignition module doesn’t fire when the ambient temperature is above about 50 degrees. I removed the ignition module from the top of the motor housing to check if there was 24 volt to the ignition module. Interestingly, when I removed the 4 screws to the ignition module, the ignition started working and Webasto worked in 60 plus degrees ambient temperature. I put the ignition module back on with all 4 screws, and it stopped working again. So as of today, the ignition works when the module is not screwed on and stops working as soon as I tighten all 4 screws. I know I need to change ignition module. The electrical engineer in me wants to make sense out of it so I am going to play some more with different iterations of screws and ignition module install. It is not pinching the two wires when tightened, so that’s not the cause. It can’t be motor vibration as vibrations are same at all temperatures.

Will keep posting results for reference.

Regards, Shahzad
    Shahzad Lateef
    2003 Marathon H3-45
    Double Slide