Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need input for our next trip.

Jim_Scoggins Guest

About 60 miles to the north is Myrtle Beach. Several large campgrounds that could easily handle the POG.

Thumbs up

Charleston sounds good to me too.

lewpopp Guest

As for a place in Charleston, Debie put in a vote for the James Island County Park. It is in the Big Rig Book but doesn't mention how many spots they have.

Lew

[=lewpopp;13470]As for a place in Charleston, Debie put in a vote for the James Island County Park. It is in the Big Rig Book but doesn't mention how many spots they have.
    Lew]

Lew, to my knowledge, and I have not been there, James Island Park is not big enough to accomodate the number of coaches we had in Kerrville. John mentioned a park just outside of Charleston but I am not familiar with what they have to offer. I believe the nice lady working at Buckhorn told me that James Island RV park is beautiful but not what we would want for a rally. I can certainly call and get the particulars if anyone is interested?

Another suggestion, if we are considering the SE coast for a rally, would be to consider it for a Spring rally not the fall. Hurricane season starts in June and runs through Nov. Not a good place to take a chance. April is lovely there however!!

James Island Park is nice and clean, but I'm sure they'll (the park office) tell you there are few spaces for 40' coaches and fewer yet for 45's. Its tight. Lots of trees and narrow lots. We were there 7 years ago in a 37' Marquis and picked up some tree limb signatures.

Anything around Knoxville or Dolly World? We could all visit Buddy Gregg and Jon. Anything close to Memphis? Elvis has left the building.

In the Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg area there are abundant campgropunds. The entire area is like Kissimmee with mountains.

If there is interest it will be real easy to investigate the campgrounds.

That area is an excellent place to have a wide variety of activities because it has theaters, Dollywood, a wide variety of shopping venues, and all kinds of tourist stuff.

It must have something going for it because the Smokey Mountains National Park has over 11,000,000 visitors per year making it the most visited national park. Traffic really sucks, however.

A few years ago we had a Country Coach Rally at River Plantation RV Park, in Sevierville, TN and it was great.

[A few years ago we had a Country Coach Rally at River Plantation RV Park, in Sevierville, TN and it was great]

Tom, this looks like a beautiful park and it is right in Dolly Parton's home town

I think an important consideration for our rallies should also include what the weather is like at certain times of the year for the locations we choose. October is a tricky month---it can present us with a nice Indian summer or snow We have our Morgan National and World Championship Horse Show in Oklahoma City the first full week of October every year. I have been there when it feels like the middle of summer for two or three days and within an hour, winter will arrive--ha! Something to think about when holding "bus side" seminars.......

I'm with Bob 00/03 on this one. I paid my dues and I will no longer do snow. I won't drive in it, slide in it, shovel it, plow it, play in it, or walk in it.

I imagine Branson is safe in October. I know Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge is also OK. In fact it is almost perfect.

lewpopp Guest

I think we dodged a big bullet in Kerrville. The bad weather on the Mexican border while there and all of the storms the following week in Texas. Phew ! I just counted our lucky stars on that visit.

No bad weather for me anywhere. We're heading home in a couple weeks and it will be June 1st before we come out of the coach. I almost dread the first couple of weeks of nights or cold mornings.

Lew