Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shock Replacement

win42 Guest

Joe: Great post. Can you give us a littls more info on the compressor, namely the cfm per minute. Motor H.P. and Brand name. You are a great asset to our group because you do not on your ass sit. Too bad you weren't able to join us in POGlll. Keep an eye on the next scheduled POGlV it will be close to your backyard and those of us that have not met you and your wife are looking forward to it.

Jon, I see the problem. I dont have a die grinder or 3" wheel. Other than the one built in, no air compresser. I need more tools! I will remove the granite floor and fill up the bay with tools. That will make momma happy.

Sorry, that was a poor excuse. I'm to lazy to fight those battles and dont have a good place to fight them in now so I'll surrender and run to Prevost Service. I truly admire the work that you and several others accomplish on your coaches. I'll keep struggling with the electrical side.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Thank you Harry, I have been working alone on most repairs for entirely too long now.

The compressor is Campbell-Housfeld I'm pretty sure I bought it from www.NorthernIndustries.com. Long time ago, I think it was around 600. I'm sure they still have something like it. The ones they have know are a little greater cfms and that will be O/K and I think they went to a 5.5hp honda or something.

5HP Briggs engine, tank is 8-gal. It originally tripped out at 125psi but it does have a safty pop off that goes off at 150, I've set it just below that. They use some goofy #s for a givin cfm at a given pressure 8.4 SCFM at 90psi? Don't know if that helps.

Doing things this way gives portability and flexability, both were important for me.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-06-2007 at 11:45 AM.

dalej Guest

When you order shocks from Prevost you will be ask your VIN # to get you the correct shocks. Then they will ask you if you want the two piece or one piece rubber bushing. If you have a large vice or a press you can save $2.40 per shock if you get the one piece, otherwise just get the two piece.

Here is some photos of the differences.

Photo 1, one piece bushing.
    Photo 2, two piece bushing.
    Photo 3, the way the shock looks when it arrives.
    Photo 4, soaped up one piece and ready to install.
    Photo 5, in the vise and ready to press in.

I think for the time and labor the two piece is the way to go, but you will have to decide. Pressing in the new bushings takes about 1 minute per shock.

Shocks are for my bus, part # 630001 $38.65
    Bushings are, two piece, part # 630002 $2.59 each, takes four/shock.
    Bushings are, one piece, part # 630062 $3.98 each, takes two/shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dalej; 05-07-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Exclamation Hot Tip Of The Day

Nice post Dale. I see a lot of extra parts on your bench. Are they from the old days of rebuilding carburetors .

One more option for those that want to save the $2.40 is to buy the one piece bushings and cut them in half yourself. Use a utility knife and lube the blade with soapy water. Put the bushings on a wooden dowel rod or broom stick for easier and safer cutting.

Hellouise

dalej Guest

Jim, do you ever stop thinking? Thats a brilliant idea. How come I didn't think of it!

Harry....no comments please, you have a new bus to think of.

lewpopp Guest

Guess I'll head for Nebraska to have some new front shocks installed.

Go post, Dale.

Lew

dalej Guest

Any time Lew, any time....

Orren Zook Guest

Dale,

Does that mean that Prevost sells their shocks without bushings? What was the number on the shock body? Blue body in Gabriel means gas shocks!!

Orren,

This is a different Dale answering your question; but yes, the shocks and bushings are priced separately. I just paid $332 for my 8 shocks and $65 for the 16 bushings. I didn't think $397 was bad for all 8. Dale Farley
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!