Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shock Replacement

Jim,

Your link for Dale is for a 1/2 inch impact wrench that is useless for the tire work and maybe even the shock bolts. You need a 1" impact, 160 PSI compressor with enough volume to do the job. My 120 PSI compressor and 3/4 impact won't even budge the lugs, I have to use my neighbors service truck who is a dozer mechanic.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and I agree that proper tools are a necessity to do any job. I may try doing the shocks without removing any wheels except the tags. I have two full sets of 3/4" sockets and ratchets, and I have someone to help me hold them while I do the turning. I haven't loooked yet, but I don't think my torque wrench goes high enough to know if I have the proper torque when installing the lug nuts.

The main reason I am reluctant to buy the 12X is I am not sure how long I will have the Prevost. We originally bought it in November because we were going to drive it back and forth to Montgomery, AL and live in it close to where our son had just moved. As noted in my post yesterday, he has now moved back to Pensacola, so everything is up in the air at this time. We really enjoyed POG III, and had a great time meeting many of the other owners. Our son is a minister and pastors a local church, so it is a little hard for us miss church without the Pastor noticing it. My wife also thinks our two grandsons may forget our names if we don't see them a few times a week, so we don't travel as much as we orginally had planned to do when we retired. We both love the bus, and my wife had me looking for a 45' after seeing all the ones at Kerrville, but things change on a daily basis around here. I've talked to others that had a nice 40', traded it for a 45' and wished they hadn't, so I don't know what I will do. I am perfectly happy with ours, and I enjoy the challenge of doing things myself.

Regardless what we may or may not do, I intend to maintain the bus while I own it, and I don't like taking short cuts on doing things properly. If I can't get the wheels off and torqued properly, I will either get another compresser or a 12X.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Don't forget to involve your family in your travels. Bringing the grandkids with you is great.

Red face So Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Jim,

Your link for Dale is for a 1/2 inch impact wrench that is useless for the tire work and maybe even the shock bolts. You need a 1" impact, 160 PSI compressor with enough volume to do the job. My 120 PSI compressor and 3/4 impact won't even budge the lugs, I have to use my neighbors service truck who is a dozer mechanic.

Tom, I fully realise the 1/2" drive wrench is inadequate for Dale's job. I was in a hurry and assumed he would know what size wrench he would need. This page link does infact further down, list wrenches at substantial discounts that would be more than adequate for the bus. Such as Pt. No. 94109-IVGA @ $119.99. I thought that was a pretty good price. The air thing he has to figure out himself.
    My main intention was to make Dale aware that Harbor tool had a physical store in his town.
    I did think that someone had figured out a method to use bus air and change tires.
    Sometime I type too much. Some time not enough. Sometime I get it right.
    I guess I was wrong. Sorry about that.

JIM

Jim,

Most of us have learned the hard way. Our bus wheels have to be torqued to around 500 ft/lbs. The reality is if you have had your wheels removed by anyone the chances that the nuts have been torqued properly are slim to none. Most of the time somebody with a 1" impact wrench has driven the nuts home with full power.

But even when we torque them properly is it unlikely any wrench but a 1" impact wrench will work. The only way a 1" impact wrench will function is if the air line to it is at least 1/2", and that your compressor tank has a lot of volume of high pressure air, generally speaking around 150 to 175 PSI. You can use the bus air system in an emergency if the air hose directly connected to the tank is 1/2" and you are prepared to wait a long time between nuts to allow the bus system to repressurize. An overtightened lug nut will not be loosened because you just cannot get enough air to the wrench to start loosening it.

On a good day, with loose lug nuts, it might work, but I doubt it.

No problem Jim, my comment was purely for folks that may not understand the impact sizes and power. As far as the bus compressor using the aux tank, it's good for blowing up bike tires and balloons. The aux tank doesn't have enough volume in my opinion to do much more. Before I get chastised, it's a great source for compressed air, but has it's limitations.

I understood what Jim meant about the air wrenches at Harbor Freight. I have a 3/4 wrench, but it won't remove the tires from the bus. My large compressor that I sold a few months ago, would drive a 3/4" but not a 1" at the volume needed to do such heavy work. I wouldn't at all mind buying the 1" impact wrench at Harbor Freight, but it will be a sizeable investment to get a compressor to drive it. I keep telling myself that I am trying to downsize my tool selection, but it doesn't seem to be working.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

matsprt Guest

One simple way is to call a local service truck. Ask what he would charge to come out and bust the nuts. Have everything ready. Then take your time and replace your shocks and do whatever else you can think of while the wheels are off. Then have him come back later to tighten.

You could be pleasantly surprised at what a local might charge if your flexible in your timing.

Michael

win42 Guest

You'ze gets this 8 ft. long steel bar adapted to the wrench supplied by prevost and you apply 260 # of body on the end and Wallaah !! the deed is done. If the nuts don't budge add another 8ft.of cheater pipe over the bar. Please reverse the system to put them back on. If this does not work I do not accept "I told you so's" from anyone except my wife. I had to use this method once myself while the kid from the tire repair place was on the cell phone to his girl friend.
    Man me and Lew was driven Model A Fords when you guys were leaving yellow tracks on your moma's floor.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

A few years back when the need arose for the capacity to be able to remove semi-tires came up for us, we already had a gas powered air compressor for nail guns and such at construction sites.

So I put an additional air quick coupler of bigger diamiter to supply a 1 inch gun and then turned the pressure regulator up to the limit 150. This works great if it might help someone.

I've never had a wheel come loose, changed tires this way more times than I care to remember.

One disclamer, It cannot keep up continuous but a 6-count inbetween nuts is as long as you have to wait, and that is a compramise I'm willing to make.

I also use this for many other things and have figured out how to get it on and off my P-U, W/O ramps, by myself

Welcome to my office
    My Bus 135.jpg