Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shock Replacement

Default Shock Replacement

After the roller coaster ride to Kerrville on I-10, I decided to change my front shocks. They aren't leaking, but they appear to be pretty old (maybe original) shocks, and I feel sure new ones should make a difference in the ride. Several times when I hit a bump, I would notice the bus went up and down more than what it should have. Although everyone I talked to seems to agree this was one of the roughtest roads they've been on in a long time, I still think new shocks may be a good idea.

I called Marathon to start with, and they told me the shocks would be $324 each. He said they were a little pricey, and that they bought them directly from Prevost. I asked the salesman three times if he really meant $324 for each shock, and he said that was the price. I called Prevost, and all 8 shocks and 16 bushings are a total of $392, so I decided to change all 8 of them instead of just the front ones. I am still not sure the salesman at Marathon was correct in his quotes; that just seems like too much of a price difference.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share before I start the replacement process? Any specific things I should or shouldn't do? Any short cuts or better procedures? Thanks. Dale
    Last edited by dale farley; 05-03-2007 at 11:31 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Go to Prevost for the shocks if you don't want to do them

I think I remember getting all my shocks done at Prevost for about $800 or less parts and labor. Evidentley, these are super easy to replace for the novice mechanic but I just let them do it. This is one of the best "bangs for the buck" to improve your ride w/o a doubt.

Dale,

Check the prices with Prevost. The Marathon price is way out of line. You may also try to get the trade number of the shocks and then check prices with Fleet Pride, Truck Pro, or NAPA.

They are not hard to replace.

dalej Guest

Dale, was the shock part # 630001 from Prevost? I just ordered two and they were $38.50 give or take some change. Then add 5 or 9 dollors for the rubber bushings, depending on if you get the one or two piece. I ordered the two different types so I will let you know.

Take note of how many threads there are showing before you start to remove, so you can tighten back to that point.

Use a pry bar to help remove the old one's and install the new one's, just press on the eyes of the new one's. Soapy water helps you slide the new one's on

Have your VIN # ready when you call.
    Last edited by dalej; 05-04-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Prevost Jacksonville changed all of mine for about $900. The front ones are easy (i could have done it, that easy), but several of the rears are really awkward to get at (they pulled the drives and loosened the mud flaps) and with out a BIG air wrench, I'd have been there a while struggling to get the nuts off.

Makes a huge difference in the ride. I-10 east bound still had some rough sections (rougher than west bound) and even with new shocks, upset Karen several times. I'm just the driver, I dont make the roads, I pleaded.

What a great rally, were still reminiscing.

dalej Guest

Thanks Mike for input. Since I bought a 1 inch impact, I don't think twice about removing the wheels, It makes it nice to access the work area. There are cavities that you can work in without removing the wheels. I would recommend still doing the work myself.

While traveling home from Kerrville I was touching the wheels while fueling in Okie city. The curb side tag was warmer then usual, so when I got home I pulled off the wheel caps to check the oil, it was fine. While inspecting the wheels to see if the seals that I just replaced were dry, I noticed the brake return spring was broke. This is why the wheel was warm. When I had done the seals the tag brakes only had one spring, so when the one broke the pad was just laying on the moving drum. I called Prevost and ordered 4 new ones to put on.

It is nice to get under the coach and inspect it when you arrive home, so you can see any leaks or items that need your attention. While greasing the front I noticed the two shocks that were broke.

This comes under the "For What Its Worth Department".

I replaced all the shocks on the original coach and it was so long ago I can no longer say with confidence whether I did it with a 1/2" impact or a big wrench. All I remember is that it did require one of the wheels to come off per side. I don't remember now if it was the tag or a drive wheel.

But I do know it was not a big project, and it was fairly easy.

I did remove one of the shocks on the present coach to replace the bushings. I did use the 1/2 inch impact wrench and I think the whole job, start to finish was about 15 minutes. If I had to use a wrench it would have only taken a few minutes more.

This also, from the for what its worth department.

When Prevost was changing the rear shocks, at least two of them seemed to take forever to break loose with the impact wrench. They had been on the coach for 13 years, and were in no hurry to leave home. That sucker hammerered and hammered and hammered. Each one toke over 30 minutes to break loose. I'm thinking, had I been laying under this with a breaker bar (limited movement) I would have never got them loose. Maybe I'm just trying to justify the $'s. I hate getting almost finished with a job and finding one screw that is stripped and wont come out or one or two bolts that just wont break loose, and the job is a bust.

Having been a long term member of the busted knuckles club I find my tolerance level for fighting with old parts is diminishing.

Had my coach given me the grief you describe, Mike, my die grinder and a 3" abrasive wheel would have been brought into play to start the process of splitting the nut. I can't remember the size of the nut on the shocks, but it is hard to imagine a 3/4 or 1" impact wrench wouldn't spin the nut right off.

Ditto with removing any bushings that might have vulcanized themselves to the shock mount.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dale you have 4 shocks on the steer axle and you have snapped the eyelets off on the forward ones?