Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pog IV The Beginning

When speaking with various parks, it become obvious which parks are "rally" parks. As an example, while traveling to POG3 the CA group stopped at Beaudry for one night. The people there took great pride in telling us about their rally capabilities, and indicated we should consider a rally there some day (not that I'm suggesting this now).

So, many parks are rally ready, and generally have the kind of accomodations that we need, including the ability to provide catering. One of the differences between POG2 and POG3 (not a complaint by any means), was that Buckhorn had a production line going when it came to feeding people. We got everyone served in a very short period of time. If you remember POG2, we walked through a normal catering serving line, and that took quite a while to get served.

I think as we grow, the catering aspect becomes a big part of the decision, along with all the other things raised above.

Ask the park about their rally capabillities. If they've done big rallies before, and for how many, etc. etc.

Looking forward to the next one!

Ray

Jon, your correct regarding the design on 50 amp pedestals. They will usually run 4 pedestals on a 100 amp sub-feed, maybe more. Now, if it is 85 degrees or higher outside, there will be a good chance that system will be at full capacity or overloaded because everyone will be running their A/C's. If the weather is cooler, it's not a issue. Typically at rallies, they will furnish only 30 amp mximum power via Large Generators with Cord distributions and Spider box plug-ins. That would be a consideration as our Rally grows and the sites are chosen. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Rally Size

Maybe this is an appropriate time to discuss rally size.

We have been in rallies of up to 200 plus coaches. I can say without fear of contradiction that with that number of coaches there is no way a rally can be as enjoyable as our rallies have been thus far.

As stated previously power becomes an issue. There are few campgrounds capable or willing to handle the power requirements of the typical Prevost. As a result we have ended up in fairgrounds with temporary power while we dry camped on grass.

But even if there was a campground large enough and with enough power available we have other considerations. Few have the facilities to house our seminars or to handle our meals. As a result a lot of activities require bussing. 200 coaches equals about 400 attendees and that takes about 9 or ten charter coaches. That in turn means standing in line to get on the bus and standing in line to get fed.

I think when selecting sites we should aim for one that can handle 50 to 80 coaches without compromise. Paved roads and sites, ample power, large facilities on site for dining and seminars, and in-house expertise at handling rallies.

The folks at Buckhorn have raised the bar and set the standard. Santa Fe was great, but now we know there is at least one location where they can do it better.

If we have enough group members after POG IV, I think the next logical step for setting up rallies is to set up regional rallies using the twice a year schedule, offsetting dates so if anyone wants to attend all four that it will be possible. I think manageable group sizes such as POG III will make the search for venues easier, more plentiful, and will allow attendees to spend more time on activities instead of being driven from the campground to the meals or seminars.

I see no advantage to a central rally attended by a hundred or more coaches unless all of the inconveniences associated with a rally of that size can be addressed.

matsprt Guest

Wow, you all are soooo over the top. I'm still in awe at what we experienced at Buckhorn and POG IV is already in the planning !!

We thought we knew what we wanted in a bus and were just going to POG III to validate. After seeing and talking with all the knowledgable folks at POG III we are questioning our thoughts.

I guess one really BIG question is how did MM go from a staunch XL man to the H camp ?? There are several others that have done this also, so feel free to answer up. What is it ?? Cost, application, layout ?? Something else ??

Then the slide / no slide conflict was thrown up in the air by all the great layouts of non-slide buses. However we still lean toward the 2 slide bus (nice job Gary with that too cool 03 Liberty !!).

I seem to have lost my direction momentairly due to system overload with new information. And Marathon, what were you thinking with a mid-entry bus ?? Thank God you only did 4 of them...whew.. (the wife was jumping up and down after that visit)

Michael

If it would help, I will be at ODR in Blue eye near the end of this month (May). I can scout or do anything else needed for the group at that time. I am concerned about going to an owner park due to the need of so many sites for the meeting.

Kim sloan
    02 Vantare still with slide problem
    06 Megacab

When I visited ODR in Arkansas last November, not with the bus but just to see the park, I was very impressed. It has a very large meeting room with a wet bar, dance floor and a kitchen off to the side for the catering Co. to use. It did not look that full and I guess we only need to ask if they could have the number of spaces that we need available that time of the year. As I mentioned before, the drive to Branson is a little far but there are many thing in the Table Rock Lake area to see and do. I am sure with the # of tour busses in that area we could plan a few nights into tour via busses, who knows maybe a H3 with lots of seats and a very small potty room.
    A little far for the west coast group but if I have the time open, count me in, a little water skiing, canoe rides and some good food not that far away.
    Kevin

Ok, since we are free associating..... I don't think all of our support vendors and Conversion Companies are going to want to hussle all over the United States 4 times a year for our POG meetings. We are going to take this one step at a time and not get a head of ourselves. POG will grow, but I hope we do not see 200 Coaches in October! We all are concerned growth will lead to less personal connection to POG. We will have to address ways to allow growth and keep this group as connected and commited . Personally, I like the idea of having some Seminars outside in front of peoples Buses. I hate being inside! Lets bring some Canopies for the possibility of inclimate weather or rent something.
    I think two POG s a year; one somewhere out west, one somewhere out east. We'll deal with the site issues as our group grows.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Those are all very sensable thoughts.

win42 Guest

Gary De: Very good thoughts, I totally agree with them. Twice a year will not tax the vendors too much and all of us will be better able to make all of POGs. Lets try this format first and see what effect growth in membership has on us in the future. I was worried POGlll had too many new faces, but it went real well and some more growth would not change that. Mini rally's on right and left coasts would be a great way to organise plans for the main two rall'ys. There's my 2cents worth.

Default Run away train...

POG is a unique group. It is made up of a fantastic group of people who are friendly, knowledgeable, and down to earth. With a combination like that we are going to have growth that is unstoppable. The teasing and humor on the forum is something that you don't see on other forums. That coupled with the friendships that are built at the rallies will ensure that POG will be like a run-away-train; it will continue to grow as the word spreads about how much fun the rallies are. We may not want 200 coaches at a rally, but I don't think that we can stop it. There are no other groups like POG, people will soon make the connection and join POG just to meet the cast of characters and learn how to fix their coaches themselves!

I think that the idea of 2 rallies a year is a good one; one on the right coast and one on the left coast. I agree with Gary about the mechanic's corners being held outside. The best place for a demo is AT THE COACH, not inside a meeting room.

We are blessed with a group of smart guys and gals, we will come up with a solution to this growth problem - just keep thinking and posting - the answer will be worked out in time.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot