Thread: Fresh water fill/blank tank/grey tank questions

Default Fresh water fill/blank tank/grey tank questions

Im a camping noob. I stay mostly at rv parks with full connections. My question is....can I leave camp water on while attached to my system? Also...can I leave black and grey water tank valves open so as to never have to drain???
    I find myself draining tanks and filling with water about ever 15 days....not a biggie....but a task none the less.

Look forward to the answers

Yes, you can leave the water on. However ever coach has different valve settings so you might think about that.

If we are using the washer / dryer or dishwasher, we routinely leave the grey water valve open. However, we do not leave the black water valve open. I dont believe that there is enough water to full wash all solids out of the tank and down the long hose.

A day or two before we leave we will close the grey water so that we have enough to flush out the hose when emptying the black. If you have a good functioning tank flush system, this may not be necessary.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

NEVER leave the black open, you will end up with a pyramid of poop in the tank where the toilet discharges into the tank. Letting the black build up to around half will provide enough water volume to carry the solids out with the water flow.
    Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

I would suggest getting a water pressure regulator that attaches to the water spigot and set it at around 25-30 PSI. Some camp grounds have very high water pressure that could cause you a problem if you burst a line in your coach. Add a carbon filter in line with your hose while you are at it!
    1995 Liberty XL
    Chris & Sara Jo Behrens

Thank you guys, I was embarrassed about this. I do have a regulator that I bought...will install it omce Im back at camp...I have 3 filters working right now..mainly for the ice maker.
    I was n

1995 Liberty XL
    Chris & Sara Jo Behrens

I don't stay in one place more than a couple days so I connect to the pole water only to add water to the tank, I use my internal pumps always.
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach