Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unusual front axle steer trailer, your thoughts?

I don't know what campfire session you guys were at to think Marathon trl made these types of trailers. Marathon Trl is a Canadian company that makes little utility trls for Home Depot.

The trl in the picture was built by Dan Araujo in Bellflower, CA. He started out making boat racing trls and when I met him 15 years ago he was building transporters and sending them to China. I heard about him and talked him into skinning my stacker. He is the only one I know of in the U.S. that has the tool and die needed to bend the stainless. You cannot by the panels for a trailer from any mfg fit to match besides the custom work needed to even try something like that would be cost prohibited.

I've seen many regular car trailers with the old pattern stainless that he made and when I ask it is always his work. He also did the single wheel in the front behind the hitch. If Marathon trl in Canada built a trailer they sure didn't skin it.

As far as badging Marathon Coach painted my trl and asked it they could badge it which I allowed. Doesn't mean they made it.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

They were called “the bus companion “.from Competitive Trailer And yes, one notoriety was ability to back up
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIiPh2IwKM
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 01-16-2022 at 09:37 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Gill I don't remember if it had badging but if Billy sees this thread and question he will certainly post who was the manufacturer on his title.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

You need to take a look at this Marathon video showing our very own Bernie’s custom trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1apF79hZG94

Bernie,

Great video. Love to see the actual loading of a car onto the trolly system. Seems like a great way to go!

The trailer I had, that Joe found in Cocoa, FL although somewhat similar in appearance was different design. Tandem axle, no dolly "front" axle, not a stacker. It was a hydraulic tilt body. Title listed Marathon as mfg. This was 1989-1990 year model I think.

Someone (Tom C maybe?) recognized it and gave me contact info for owner prior to who I got it from. Don't remember who that was, but he did answer my first email and said trailer was built by Marathon Coach. I don't remember any other details or info don't think there was much.

I wasn't concerned enough to even contact Marathon Coach and ask - didn't really care.

I pulled it once from OK to NY and back and determined "toad" was preferable for me so sold it.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 01-17-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Hi Marshall,

The trolley system is called a Rail Ryder. Back when we did this we didn't mention In Tech or RR because we were in a grey area about advertising and no compensation so we knew anyone that wanted to watch could see who made the trl and the trolley system because we showed their names if you watch close. It was alot of fun to do. The guy we've been taking about in this thread put the stainless skin on my trl.

The car trl that Billie had was built by Mike Pruitt in the 80's who was a gifted metal man for Marathon Coach. Who put the hydraulic floor in is a mystery. Only a couple were built and I guess it's fitting to be talking about his work. He just recently passed.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

All an interesting read. If anyone ever comes up with the empty and loaded capacities of the stearablle one I'm still curious.

Billy yours was very heavy how did that go with a 3200 lb car and no gear is was at it's loaded rate or very close. Refresh my memory.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20200211_080814.jpg

Here was another varient. It had hydraulic tilt too no ramps and 0 transition from the ground loading. I pulled one of these from Miami to Indy, unloaded, with a 1/2 ton pickup felt like I was pulling another pu heavy heavy heavy.

Whoever mentioned it pulled like a dream yes but after u unhooked from it u definaty knew it wasn't on the hitch any longer. Kinda like what it feels like when u shed the toad, times 10.

Very slick trolly Bernie. That corrugated pattern on the stainless changed in 2000 with the XLII. The stearable image Eliott shows has the old corrugated pattern if u look close at the top u can see the slight changes in the spacing. It doesn't perfectly match the XLII that's pulling it.

Opinion, These stearable stackers look better behind an XLIi verses a pre 2000. The prior years that trailer is more noticably higher than the bus and it don't look right when a trailer is like that. Watch both video The XLII they almost line up perfect.

Bernie do u think that stearable one stands taller by a little?? It might. Either way stackers tuck in behind the newer XLII nicer they slightly overpower the XLV from a visual perspective and look more in perportion behind an XLII or H3 I I think anyway.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-17-2022 at 12:25 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe the one I had was 6000# empty. So close to 10K loaded. I don't remember noticing much difference than dragging the 5000# van. But maybe more than I remember. I gave up street racing after I lost my license in my teens .

Bernie just watched video that is one nice trailer. Trolley system would certainly be a huge plus vs crawling out window - huge PIA.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 01-17-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40