Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual front axle steer trailer, your thoughts?

Elliot

Dan with Competitive trl built it, he said he did about 10 setup like that. I'll text you his number he's semi retired in Havasu close to you. He's a good man he skinned 2 of my stackers.

Marathon never had anything to do with those trailers.

Later
    bv
    Last edited by truxton; 01-16-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by truxton View Post
    Elliot

Dan with Competition trl built it, he said he did about 10 setup like that. I'll text you his number he's semi retired in Havasu close to you. He's a good man he skinned 2 of my stackers.

Marathon never had anything to do with those trailers.

Later
    bv

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate it, I'll contact Dan
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

I know a guy in port orange fl with one. Never seen it pulled just sits in the hanger I believe it was a package deal when he bought his bus. Everything so far that's been said is pretty correct

IMHO their shortfall is their empty weight. Do u want to be approaching 80,000 CGVW with a full trailer?

Marathon coach was not affiliated with them but the manufacturer was Marathon trlr.

The one I saw the inside forward third was finished out looked like a continuation of the inside of the bus.

If pulled with a 54000 lb bus loaded with 2 cars plus gear I think u would exceed 80,000.

Remember Jeff Baily he was that screwball we had here for a while. He pulled one empty and said he'd never do it again and he was certifiably crazy. He went and got it in Utah and blew up his 60 series in a 40 ft Angola trying to pull it home over the mountains empty. Somewhere in the archives there's his thread.

I think they r awsum but those kind of things r why they have CAT power. Lol. I'm only 33 ft and 21,000lbs and with the right ponys under the hood. Id be a prime candidate for it, would not be overweight or length neither! If it didn't look so much like a Prevo bus Id seriously consider it.

It's over the top. I know many 80,000 lb semis now have automatic transmission but I am not convinced that's a good formula, I wouldn't want an automatic with those weights.

In the picture look at the way the bus is turning to the right and the trlr wheels r going left.

Looks like it's being backed up and the trailer is not participating correctly.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-16-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    I know a guy in port orange fl with one. Never seen it pulled just sits in the hanger I believe it was a package deal when he bought his bus. Everything so far that's been said is pretty correct

IMHO their shortfall is their empty weight. Do u want to be approaching 80,000 CGVW with a full trailer?

Marathon coach was not affiliated with them but the manufacturer was Marathon trlr.

The one I saw the inside forward third was finished out looked like a continuation of the inside of the bus.

If pulled with a 54000 lb bus loaded with 2 cars plus gear I think u would exceed 80,000.

Remember Jeff Baily he was that screwball we had here for a while. He pulled one empty and said he'd never do it again and he was certifiably crazy. He went and got it in Utah and blew up his 60 series in a 40 ft Angola trying to pull it home over the mountains empty. Somewhere in the archives there's his thread.

I think they r awsum but those kind of things r why they have CAT power. Lol. I'm only 33 ft and 21,000lbs and with the right ponys under the hood. Id be a prime candidate for it, would not be overweight or length neither! If it didn't look so much like a Prevo bus Id seriously consider it.

It's over the top. I know many 80,000 lb semis now have automatic transmission but I am not convinced that's a good formula, I wouldn't want an automatic with those weights.

In the picture look at the way the bus is turning to the right and the trlr wheels r going left.

Looks like it's being backed up and the trailer is not participating correctly.
    Joe, thanks for your post! So, if weight is the issue, I would think that could be overcome, isn't it like any other triple axle enclosed trailer? I wonder if there are other negatives, accounting for why other manufacturers passed on it's design.
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

I saw one of these last time I was at Marathon in Grand Prarie, TX. It was wrapped in a blue/grey color to match a 2001 ish H3. The coach belonged to a country singer from the Hill Country of TX and being PDI's for a couple that live in Albuquerque. Not sure if they ever bought it. It needed a fairly extensive remodel, but I remember seeing the trailer. Front axle steerable, no tongue weight. I spoke to the Marathon shuttle driver who drove it and he said it pulled like a dream. Like it wasn't even there.

Quote Originally Posted by tnjet View Post
    I saw one of these last time I was at Marathon in Grand Prarie, TX. It was wrapped in a blue/grey color to match a 2001 ish H3. The coach belonged to a country singer from the Hill Country of TX and being PDI's for a couple that live in Albuquerque. Not sure if they ever bought it. It needed a fairly extensive remodel, but I remember seeing the trailer. Front axle steerable, no tongue weight. I spoke to the Marathon shuttle driver who drove it and he said it pulled like a dream. Like it wasn't even there.
    Wow, that's awesome, thanks for posting!
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

Try to verify its empty weight and the loaded capacity for us please that would be good I think.

I'm pretty sure it's also air ride not sure on brakes that would also be nice to verify for us. Is it airbrakes? Can't remember.

Baily was not a good test pilot.

I too love it but it's not for the average motorhome type.

Elliott what do u do road race with some vintage corvettes? Where around Arizona r the tracks?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-16-2022 at 09:58 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Try to verify its empty weight and the loaded capacity for us please that would be good I think.

I'm pretty sure it's also air ride not sure on brakes that would also be nice to verify for us. Is it airbrakes? Can't remember.

Baily was not a good test pilot.

I too love it but it's not for the average motorhome type.

Elliott what do u do road race with some vintage corvettes? Where around Arizona r the tracks?
    I will post any information I get on this trailer design.

I currently pull a 2021 26' (31' with tongue) ATC stacker, 8K lbs empty and up to 20K lbs max loaded. I use a airtug super duty (up to 20K lbs) to move it around when parked or stored. I'm always very careful loading it, as to keep tongue weight 1500 -2000 lbs. I'm a car and motorcycle enthusiast and like to take rides wherever we go. I also like having a "garage" with me, keeps everything clean and dry and a place to work on stuff. The ATC pulls very well, the only time I feel it is going up grades.

I'm intrigued by this front steer design. Eliminating tongue weight, maybe better tracking, maybe easier to move around with a dolly?
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

Joe, although not a Marathon build, didn't that one in FL have Marathon Coach badging being pulled behind the Liberty?

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

This trailer was featured along with the coach by Premium, one had to call to get the price. They are now listing the coach separately and with a price, so they may have sold the trailer. I never called about the price for both so not sure what they wanted for the trailer.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary