Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual front axle steer trailer, your thoughts?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    As I recall there was some system that turned the wheels the correct direction when backing. They were heavy. I believe Marathon sold a few that had tilt beds for easy loading.

interesting that Marathon sold them, I wonder why they were not successful and why other trailer manufacturers did not copy them, thanks Gil!
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

I saw one of these last time I was at Marathon in Grand Prarie, TX. It was wrapped in a blue/grey color to match a 2001 ish H3. The coach belonged to a country singer from the Hill Country of TX and being PDI's for a couple that live in Albuquerque. Not sure if they ever bought it. It needed a fairly extensive remodel, but I remember seeing the trailer. Front axle steerable, no tongue weight. I spoke to the Marathon shuttle driver who drove it and he said it pulled like a dream. Like it wasn't even there.

Quote Originally Posted by tnjet View Post
    I saw one of these last time I was at Marathon in Grand Prarie, TX. It was wrapped in a blue/grey color to match a 2001 ish H3. The coach belonged to a country singer from the Hill Country of TX and being PDI's for a couple that live in Albuquerque. Not sure if they ever bought it. It needed a fairly extensive remodel, but I remember seeing the trailer. Front axle steerable, no tongue weight. I spoke to the Marathon shuttle driver who drove it and he said it pulled like a dream. Like it wasn't even there.
    Wow, that's awesome, thanks for posting!
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

Try to verify its empty weight and the loaded capacity for us please that would be good I think.

I'm pretty sure it's also air ride not sure on brakes that would also be nice to verify for us. Is it airbrakes? Can't remember.

Baily was not a good test pilot.

I too love it but it's not for the average motorhome type.

Elliott what do u do road race with some vintage corvettes? Where around Arizona r the tracks?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-16-2022 at 09:58 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Try to verify its empty weight and the loaded capacity for us please that would be good I think.

I'm pretty sure it's also air ride not sure on brakes that would also be nice to verify for us. Is it airbrakes? Can't remember.

Baily was not a good test pilot.

I too love it but it's not for the average motorhome type.

Elliott what do u do road race with some vintage corvettes? Where around Arizona r the tracks?
    I will post any information I get on this trailer design.

I currently pull a 2021 26' (31' with tongue) ATC stacker, 8K lbs empty and up to 20K lbs max loaded. I use a airtug super duty (up to 20K lbs) to move it around when parked or stored. I'm always very careful loading it, as to keep tongue weight 1500 -2000 lbs. I'm a car and motorcycle enthusiast and like to take rides wherever we go. I also like having a "garage" with me, keeps everything clean and dry and a place to work on stuff. The ATC pulls very well, the only time I feel it is going up grades.

I'm intrigued by this front steer design. Eliminating tongue weight, maybe better tracking, maybe easier to move around with a dolly?
    2007 Liberty XL2 DS

Joe, although not a Marathon build, didn't that one in FL have Marathon Coach badging being pulled behind the Liberty?

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

This trailer was featured along with the coach by Premium, one had to call to get the price. They are now listing the coach separately and with a price, so they may have sold the trailer. I never called about the price for both so not sure what they wanted for the trailer.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

I don't know what campfire session you guys were at to think Marathon trl made these types of trailers. Marathon Trl is a Canadian company that makes little utility trls for Home Depot.

The trl in the picture was built by Dan Araujo in Bellflower, CA. He started out making boat racing trls and when I met him 15 years ago he was building transporters and sending them to China. I heard about him and talked him into skinning my stacker. He is the only one I know of in the U.S. that has the tool and die needed to bend the stainless. You cannot by the panels for a trailer from any mfg fit to match besides the custom work needed to even try something like that would be cost prohibited.

I've seen many regular car trailers with the old pattern stainless that he made and when I ask it is always his work. He also did the single wheel in the front behind the hitch. If Marathon trl in Canada built a trailer they sure didn't skin it.

As far as badging Marathon Coach painted my trl and asked it they could badge it which I allowed. Doesn't mean they made it.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

They were called “the bus companion “.from Competitive Trailer And yes, one notoriety was ability to back up
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIiPh2IwKM
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 01-16-2022 at 09:37 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Gill I don't remember if it had badging but if Billy sees this thread and question he will certainly post who was the manufacturer on his title.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines