Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Port Aransas

I will definitely be headed to Port A when my coach is returned from service! I enjoy boondocking at truckstops so I can only imagine at the beach!

We live in Lockhart Texas, and my wife have stayed at the Gulf Waters Resort in Port Aransas and it's on the beach. Nice place.

Home - Gulf Waters Beach Front RV Resort in Port Aransas, TX. (gulfwatersrvresorttx.com)

Joe & Diane: I do not recall the exact voltage levels, but it is whatever the default is for Trace 4000w inverters. They have several triggers, depending on a voltage and a minimum time. I am pretty sure the trigger levels are set for lead-acid (which I have), but I think they can get kins of low, like 22v, but I'd have to look at the documentation to be sure.

Terri & Trey: Yes, Gulf Waters is where I want to try next! We tried Pioneer during Thanksgiving, and it was OK, just a bit tight. Gulf Waters has some sites which appear really roomy, even some with cabanas and outdoor kitchen, for what I thought was very reasonable daily rates. While I'll still like the boondocking, I would not mind mixing in some resort style accommodations once in a while.

Andrew,
    This opens up a great question: Are the inverters default voltage trigger levels appropriate for long term health of our house batteries (Lifeline)? I realize (as Andrew mentioned) there are several trigger conditions based on voltage level and time duration. But none of them make me comfortable letting my batteries get to those voltage levels.
    Here's my inverter settings where generator start is triggered:
    24.6v for 24hrs+
    23.6v for 2hrs+
    22.6v for 15min+

A key reason for my opinion is that number of cycles that a AGM battery can handle are directly related to the depth of discharge that it encounters. According to Concorde Battery Corp, a Lifeline battery will handle about 5000 cycles if never dropped below 90% charge. Consequently if the same battery sustains a 50% discharge level, the number of cycles reduces to 1000. Simple lesson: Our batteries will last longer the less we discharge them.

Thoughts from the community?
    Last edited by Hoffman; 12-31-2021 at 12:07 AM.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Those points r not too low because there r loads on the bank when u observe that. That's why time is also factored in. When they get down to 22. whatever that is not a resting voltage and if u pulled all loads away when they show 22 they would bounce back to a higher resting voltage. If u set the limits higher that won't hurt but it may make a gen start before u wake when it otherwise would not.

12.2 and 24.4 r where u start to deep cycle but these r resting numbers with no loads. If u r trying to keep the bank from deep cycling under load your gen run cycles will be quite frequent.

I think regardless of the way u fashion your settings the total amp hrs available till all used up comes out about the same u either get longer cycles or more of them. Make your settings to suit your style.

Usually people rarely use auto start if those settings r a tic off unless u boondock all the time it's going to be insignificant.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-31-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hey Joe

If I was boondocking alot and my normal loads and draw were all very small ones like lights and television only I'd want to get that setting higher than default but they kinda got that worked out with the time factor.? Right?

If my normal loads were frequently bigger like toaster microwave blow dryer toe kick heat, I'd set lower but again they have that time factor at work again.?.?

U could also manipulate things too like when u r getting close if u know what your time variable is set at u wouldn't for example use the microwave for a time setting as great as what is set to trigger start. When u step out the shower and your toes r cold u could use the heater just don't run in for a greater time than your setting.

Did u ever consider that?

I got it bad don't I.

This is the kind of concerns poor bastards like me have to contend with not u guys with 20 k gens that r whisper quite. Sheesh.

Boondocking. Or when parked without any driving or idling the vehicle. I run generator 4 hrs when I wake up and 4 hr before I go to bed. This not only keeps the fridge cold but regardless of season keeps me pretty comphy too.

Spring and fall maybe reduce run times to 3hr.

If it's blazing hot mid summer there's always exceptions too.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-31-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

If u r going to be boondocking comfortable u will use kitchen and bathroom stuff when u get up and probably want heat or ac watching tv before bed and running the gen early and late does this and keeps a battery bank just fine.

If u get your batteries to float right before u go to bed the battery bank should have no problem running the fridge without low voltage before morning. 3 hrs runtime should be enough time to get even very discharged banks back to float.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-31-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Andrew,
    This opens up a great question: Are the inverters default voltage trigger levels appropriate for long term health of our house batteries (Lifeline)? I realize (as Andrew mentioned) there are several trigger conditions based on voltage level and time duration. But none of them make me comfortable letting my batteries get to those voltage levels.
    Here's my inverter settings where generator start is triggered:
    24.6v for 24hrs+
    23.6v for 2hrs+
    22.6v for 15min+

A key reason for my opinion is that number of cycles that a AGM battery can handle are directly related to the depth of discharge that it encounters. According to Concorde Battery Corp, a Lifeline battery will handle about 5000 cycles if never dropped below 90% charge. Consequently if the same battery sustains a 50% discharge level, the number of cycles reduces to 1000. Simple lesson: Our batteries will last longer the less we discharge them.

Thoughts from the community?
    The AGS system you are using and most everyone else is, does not measure the battery bank's state of charge. That's the best method for triggering generator start and stop cycles. Those numbers only appear low because there's an assumed load. If the coach was in storage, those numbers would be too low. The best thing for you to do is bump the 15 minute timer up to 23V and see if the generator cycles too frequently. After all, the start trigger is a compromise between actual discharge (that's an unknown) and how often it triggers the start. If it doesn't start too frequently under normal use, bump it up a bit higher.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion