Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Port Aransas

Default Hello from Port Aransas

Boondocking on the beach for a couple nights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADFC6C61-E544-400B-B98C-C5F3273CE950.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	18089  

Nice! Congrats!
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

welcome to my nick of the woods. Im a Corpus Christi Resident! I never even thought about taking my coach to the beach, Thank you for the inspiration!!!! Which site is this in Port A?

We are right off Port Aransas Beach Road, half way between Ave G and Beach Street. Sand is well packed and easy to drive on. Permit I think is $12 for a year, but did not need one as the 2021 permits are gone and 2022 are not sold yet.

I definitely need to be more prepared for sand. I need some kind of platform near the door with a wash/shower station, so we can rinse off before entering the coach

Put a pail of water at the entryway and an old carpet at the door. Step in the pail of water, agitate your feet, step on the carpet and into your coach.
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Wow, a place with a view.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Love to see the boondocking with style.
    We just spent 5 days at a beach and love the water bucket & carpet idea. I only wish I could teach our big dog to use the bucket.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Hi Joe,
    For Dessa you’ll more likely need a horse water trough. Just imagine how much sand she could conceal in all her fur!
    Still, she’s the friendliest, sweet big girl of a pup. :-)
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL

Smile

I wish I got a picture, but the sunrise on the horizon each morning was perfect and could be seen from the stateroom when waking up. I am really liking the boondock lifestyle.

This was actually our first bookdock ever. I have only tested the generator once before, but did not have any experience with the auto start/stop from the trace inverters. Luckily it went without a hitch. Both nights it kicked on around 3 am, and while it did wake me up, it was because I was nervously anticipating it while I was sleeping. Once started, it was hardly noticeable. I have no idea how much diesel we used for the generator, but I am guessing it was not too much.

We took a mostly non-interstate way back to Austin, which was nice to go through some small towns, get some good BBQ in Lockhart, and as It turned out, was able to dump tanks for free at Austin wastewater treatment plant, right along our route, just 20 miles before arriving home.

Port Aransas is really great for boondocking. There’s tons of space on the beach, it’s clean, quiet, and friendly. If you are not too far away, I recommend it.

The only small hiccup with boondocking was my daughter taking a 45 min shower and using half the fresh water

Andrew, I laugh at your daughters shower situation. I also deal with that challenge with my family. Some people get it, some don't.

But I raise concern about you waiting for your generator to auto-start. On my coach, the auto-start is triggered by a voltage level that's just too low for my preference. So I run the generator at 'convenient' times of day, a bit in the morning, then a bit in the evening. The type of batteries we have for house batteries prefer minimal discharge cycles. Unless you've upgraded to Li-Ion.
    Do you know what your autostart trigger voltage is?
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/