Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prevost info search experience until now

The explanation I was given was lack of availability of material.

I have an opinion about it but I'm wanting to see if others drew similar conclusions before I opine.

This topic also tweeks my curiosity. What were the biggest production numbers and what year was that?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-17-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

If u look at Hs that have been left outside look closely at the bay floors.

Soft bay floors r not rocket science to replace but it could involve some time depending on the bay.

Happy hunting.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Some of that bay moisture has to do with improper closing/latching the H bay door. You “can” just pull them down, but even then that force swinging down “may not” completely latch the door. You must must, once you pull bay doir closed, push each top corner to it clicks to latch. Otherwise, th3 top corners arent properly latch and moisture enters as rain or snowmelt run down coach sides
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post

I have an opinion about it but I'm wanting to see if others drew similar conclusions before I opine.

This topic also tweeks my curiosity. What were the biggest production numbers and what year was that?
    It definitely could be the case. Anything with a chip in it has been affected at some point during 2021. Automobile factories were shut down for 2 weeks at a time. Other parts may be related to the same logistics delays that everyone is having, even if your parts are made in the U.S. Any parts made in Asia have been a problem and are still a problem for most manufacturers - even if you can afford the air. If the parts are big then your stuff is stuck in Long Beach with everyone else.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

Just a couple of other data points.

Prevost's Detailed Mechnical Inspection is not what the name implies. When the time comes I can tell you what to have them or another job inspect on the chassis.

Prevost doesn't inspect any of the house systems.

Prevost doesn't inspect a Detroit engine beyond their add ons, leaks and corrosion.

Not all PDIs are created equal. Steer clear of the RVIA certified inspectors. Only honest ones will tell you they're not qualified to inspect a Prevost conversion.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Here's another I like if only aesthetics were important (I promise I won't keep doing this). I'm sharing this one because I might be able learn something about how dealers advertise.
    * Is it possible the (Donnie Meyers) is only giving a taste that you do in fact call them......
    * No mileage listed
    * No pictures of bays, or engine, at all (though have observed some dealers just do this - not having them - as standard practice.
    * This one says all of the stainless steel has been replaced. Can a shop to this, or is this really only a Prevost job (to know if it's been done right).
    * Front and rear caps replaced - X3's. If any of you had to replace the front and/or rear cap, is that (X3) what you would do? Or is this the only option?
    * Like the light interior and the wood floor (though the cabinet knobs gotta go).
    * So Gil, this might make my list of the 1 of 3 toward the bottom end of my price range.

https://dmrv.com/coaches/2000-hoffman-coach-xlii/
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post

My understanding is that the annual production fell dramatically after 2008 for obvious reasons (the economic crash) and never recovered to their pre-crash highs. Clearly supply issues have cramped this year's production, and we hear that the converters could have sold a lot more if they could have produced more ... but that still wouldn't be the biggest factor compared to pre-2008 would it?

I also wonder if quality is better post-2008 due to the drop in factory production. I don't have the experience and haven't been in the community long enough to have an opinion on that. Anyone?

It took long enough but that's exactly what I was thinking.

I don't care who u r, u cut production by half and allow craftsman to work very thoughtfully verses pushing product down the line and even if the product was of very high quality to begin with it's going to be better still.

I know a Liberty guy that went from an 08 to a 12 and the product was much more trouble free we had previously had this discussion, numerous times.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

On finding a coach (from a recent first time buyer):
    -Looks are important, but IMO more important on the interior, where you will spend most of your time.
    -Try to decide if you want slides, as that seems to make a big difference in cost, but also consider how it will affect your ability to sell later if you need/want to.
    -H3 vs X: At first I decided I would only consider an X chassis, but then realized I am ignoring 1/2 the market and may pass on a coach that is a great fit for me. Consider both in your search.
    -Try to find a coach that has actually been used frequently in the last year. Chances are it is much more sorted than a coach which someone lost interest in and let sit for a couple years.
    -You can sit on the fence for possibly years, or you can find a coach that checks most of the boxes from a trustworthy dealer, buy it, and enjoy it. Don't wait for the "perfect" coach; it does not exist.

In the end, I got an H3, while my preference was an XL2.

On low production numbers: We have to factor in the business of refurbishing used coaches, which perhaps is a lot higher these days for converters like Marathon. They seem to feature a lot of remodels in their videos.

Andrew,

Thankyou for your inputs. I was hoping someone would reply to my bullet list and you did. Some of your earlier posts were among the first I read, though I don't recall reading that you found one! Congratulations! We have not shut off the H3's just yet. Hoping that we can see many of both at Prevost Expo.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary