Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prevost info search experience until now

Default Prevost info search experience until now

I have already seen a wealth of response and good guidance from several here regarding my info search.

My intent with this post is to somewhat express the culmination of knowledge and thinking for where I'm at, right now, to see if it makes sense, both from snapshot in time at and for next steps.

In virtual shopping right now if I had to hypothetically buy a coach, this one floats to the surface:

http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2005Pre...acy110121.html.

I have seen this coach on RV Trader and Legacy Coach. I have no experience with Legacy Coach.

No, to be clear, I am not ready to buy, I'm just perhaps calling this a baseline and starting to ask questions with this in mind to see what I find out. I've contacted Legacy just to see what they could tell me and specifically ask if any Laminate inspection has been done. A fellow by the name of James Thompson replied with: "This coach is in fantastic condition, and has had a significant remodel. There is no evidence of panel separation, and it does not appear to have had previous repairs." I already know from my reading that I need to have a PDI done, with specific testing in this area, best done at a Prevost site. No questions on that yet since I'm not buying this coach, but certainly geography for executing a test would be important. I was curious what a dealer would say, and how much they would share. I have seen some places say: "PDI performed" - but yes, I'm skeptical and would want my own done anyway.

I recall reading Gil, or someone else say, pick 3 coach 30K bellow your budget and 3 at 30K above. This particular price is probably near the above. Would I spend $360K if I knew that unknowns might put me closer to $400K? Great question. That would be pushing it and that would be the very top end. I would rather be at $360K and negotiated some fixes for what it needs.

Why does this coach stand out? Admittedly for now it's because of the update interior. I know that's not enough, I'm diligently reading. I like the clean looks from interior to exterior to bays etc. Without knowing more about what it might need this might be enough to someday get me to want to visit and see a coach - get's me to a visit, not necessarily a purchase. My wife and I have noticed that Royale's and CC's seem to gather towards simpler interiors. We're not fancy - please read that this is not a judgment: all of us like something different. An Andrew Steele video included a service man in FL that seemed to like Royale's because they thought about access for service. Again, just a data point.

I can say that if this coach were available when we're ready to buy, and we're informed, and the PDI showed no major issues, then I hope something like it, or similar, will be available. So yes, I have a lot to lean about chassis and "seeing" what we like in person, vs. internet. With that in mind we are heeding the advice here and attending the Prevost Expo in Feb. Excited to put our senses in motion to see many of these coaches and learn a lot, and hopefully meeting a lot of owners, and dealers.

Please feel free to share what I may be missing. Knowing that most battle plans don't survive 1st contact with the enemy, we'll head into Prevost Expo with a very intentional search to begin sometime shortly thereafter, no later than summer, knowing it may take months to find what we want (with someone like Gil sharing with us what things look like).

Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

Looking at this now, I should have posted this under new ownership or something like that.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

Hi Mike and Jodi,

Best advice I can offer is don’t fixate on any “one” Coach. Know that when it comes to Prevost - there will always be another around the corner (if the one you really liked Sold). Speaking from experience…we had several that we just missed - before we purchased what turned out to be the “perfect for us” Coach.

Working with Gil and attending the Expo are excellent choices! You’ll want to keep in mind to also allow a few months (at least 2-3) for any Zeroing out of your “new to you” Coach before it will likely be ready to drive away. There is a lot you will want to have done e.g., axles/wheels aligned & balanced, TPMS installed (if none already), brake chambers and independent suspension checked, preferably new tires and batteries (chassis, house and generator); generator/Webasto/Detroit Diesel Level III services performed, ensure all air conditioners/reverse cycle heating work (when plugged into 50 Amp, on Inverters alone and when running the generator). Check and familiarize yourself with all water systems - hot water heater, water tank (bypass/City water and how to fill tank). Learn Control panel operations for Inverter settings (breakers/fuses for re-setting, if needed) & Float charging.

The list is on-going and at times seems endless. :-)

Plan on sticking around for several days to “push every button/flip every switch” and to be on-site with the dealer/mechanics to ask more questions. Also, to verify that your pneumatic systems are fully operational and not experiencing the dreaded air leaks - that you’ll otherwise be chasing - with your wallet!

If the Coach has Crestron controls - spend the better part of the day using, re-using and more, so that you become familiar with all its operations (and, have tested several times). Otherwise this can become an expensive lesson later…particularly, if your bus has an older system/proprietary software.

Before “At time of Purchase” is your best option for getting things done at the Dealer’s expense or to negotiate repairs/Upgrades into the purchase price. Depending upon whether you are qualified/have facilities to do much of the work yourself or, rely on mechanics - will ultimately determine how much you negotiate “into” the purchase price (or, off the price if doing work yourself).

Bottom line, you are buying a work horse that loves to be used (and, won’t have plastic pieces constantly falling off of it - like so many of the production RV’s). Just remember, half the fun is in the learning!

That said, it is a mansion on wheels rolling down an “earthquake” highway. Be prepared to open wallet and throw money in its direction (read: have an annual Maintenance budget, and save toward major expenses that might be required every 5-10 years).
    Still, SO worth it!!!
    Last edited by WinterStorm; 12-14-2021 at 09:20 PM.
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL

When redoing carpeted floors for wood in a bus already loaded with wood the Grey flooring is an excellent contrast as does this one. IMHO a grey wood floor is about the only choice for carpet replacement without clashing with existing wood finishes. Going with the same species makes it just too much. Kinda not addressed the posting but that caught my eye.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

That's a great eye. My wife really likes that floor, and the angle. Couldn't really describe why it works until you shared it here! Thanks!
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

This year Liberty converted 14. Marathon converted 22. Around 08 those 2 combined did around 90.

What about those numbers boys what do u think? Comments please.

R they even building 2 slide conversions still?? What percentage if they r? Bet not many.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-15-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Very surprised the fact that Liberty and Marathon combined only did 36 conversions combined in 21 hasn't tweeked some thoughts out there.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

VASpartan,

My previous coach was a 2006 Royal.....unit #415. Looks to be very close in serial number to the one you listed above. Great coach. Loved the more manual nature of the coach. Very solid and served us well. I'm now in a 2007 Marathon....much more automated and complex. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of the Royal.

Thanks for the comparison. Other than "aesthetics" in general we have not ruled out an H3 but I know we'll want to spend some time on electronics when we start getting our hands on some of the coaches during our search.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

I am curious myself, that seems to be a very low number. Could it maybe be that they decided not to build spec coaches?