Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Virginia!

Default Hello from Virginia!

I am a prospective owner in the next 18-24 months (with intent to retire). I found this group through youtube and videos I came across that included Gil J (Gadget Guru). We (my wife and I) are trying to figure out what kind of RV we want to own.

• We started browsing at production units.
    • Gazing at pricing and depreciations we decided to go used.
    • Once we started down the used path we found older brands like country coaches that seen to float to the surface during the quality discussions. Value to quality seems the biggest.
    • During the Country Coach browsing we realized that it will likely take a national search and likely many months to get the right coach. We keep hearing "maintenance" and "was it being used." Understand that very clearly.
    • As we came across forums for CC we ran into Prevost CC conversions. That Prevost seed began to get planted.
    • We are coming to learn that even if we need to reach into the 2000's for the budget we are starting to build, we can still get the best!
    • I can share that my parents spent 12 years travelling the US in a 34' Avion. I've towed that beast on a few outings. I recall my father saying that, when he finally stopped towing, if he had a chance he would really liked to have had a Prevost MH.
    • This idea formation is now about 3 months old and drinking out of a firehose (but enjoying it). I am soaking up every ounce of knowledge I can find.

Happy to be here and seek info. Not sure where this particular venture will lead us, and here for the ride.

Mike
    Richmond, VA
    Last edited by VASpartan; 12-11-2021 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add city

As you have questions, don't hesitate to ask questions as they come to you. You can reach out to me directly and/or take advantage of the experiences of the collective group.

You should consider attending the Prevost Expo in February. 50 Prevosts inside and offered for sale from almost all converters. It's also a great place to talk to all Prevost focused dealers to determine which you feel more comfortable with.

http://prevost-stuff.com/2022_Prevos...tro_Sheet.html

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil, thank you for the reply. I plan on doing ALL of what you have suggested above. You read my mind on Prevost Expo. We were originally thinking of going to Tampa in January, but reading in the last 2 weeks has pointed us more toward the Expo. Your input is confirmation that it makes sense for us to do.

Thanks!

Mike

Good luck Mike.

U absolutely need to go drive a few. If u find one u like and drive it without ever driving another u can not make good educated comparisons and conclusions.

Driving in it with a sailsman or seller behind the wheel gives u almost a good a feel for what it is as driving it yourself.

When u get a salesman or a seller all hot to trot to show u something he thinks u will like go along with it, ask him to take u for a ride. Do as many as u can along the way. Most r really good but that's not a given.

The H compared to the XL from the drivers perspective is not different they drive about the same but from the passengers perspective the sitting position is quite different between the 2. Let your wife see take her out in both....I bet she will have an opinion.

In non slide buses a 40 ft XL Is about the same living space as a H345 it's just cosier.

The bays in an XL r built out and sealed up tight finished out completely and very well done. However the comparatively unfinished bay ceilings on the HS gives u way way more accessibility to "stuff". That's a tough choice for me.

Documentation is really good but not a deal breaker if u look close. Make it a negotiating item when there's none. Whatever u think u will need to do after u get it double that number.

Last year great show as usual but times r a chanin, the bulk of coaches there were 3 and 4 slide and I'm not sure if there was even anything older than 2000 maybe 1. Out in the camping lot u will find a plethora of older stuff and many of us too.

97 to 2000 XL(40 ft. and the sexiest chassis prevo ever put out) no slide with OTR AC and a straight axle. There u go that's how I would spend your money, pretty sure that puts me in the minority with that choice. Welcome to pog.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-12-2021 at 12:43 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Well said Joe ... I like the way you think! Hope to see you in West Palm.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Thanks so much Joe! This kind of input is why I came here and I am already stoke! Will try very hard to get to West Palm!
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

Mike,

I went through the entire process you're going through last year. I live only about 2 hours north of you in NOVA. After attending the Prevost show in WPB last Feb I decided to purchase a 2006 Country Coach XL2. I've learned A TON in the last 4 months since purchasing it and can share all of the lessons learned so far. All in all, I love it. Feel free to message me for my contact info if you'd like to chat and possibly see my bus.

Rich
    Rich Plaskon & Kyle Bloch
    2006 Country Coach XLII
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Since you are trending toward a Country Coach, you are obviously very intelligent. Just kidding (sort of) as around 6 years ago we were in the same hunt. It really takes time to do a proper search and every bus you look at will increase you focus on what suits your needs and wants. Many esthetic things are reasonably addressable and something that you can initially live with and plan on upgrades. When it comes to the mechanical, electrical and safety aspects, those need to be corrected prior to extended use. Tires, for instance, can put you in the ditch on your first trip...

A comment on Country Coach models... All have good reputations and will deserve consideration. If you want a model that most closely compares to the newest buses, look carefully at the L-series Country Coach. They include integrated roof awnings so visually they resemble current conversions. They also utilize Crestron Controls, a system that is still in use today.

We certainly have enjoyed our 2006 Country Coach XLII (L-series). It is my hobby to make continuous improvements and upgrades along with routine maintenance. Our bus compares favorably to the new conversions, but a a fraction of the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Rich,

That's great news that you are that close. I knew one of the things I needed to get to is where to service the chassis items and the house items. I think I saw Prevost Center in MD near DC. Not sure who handles the house stuff.

Thanks for reaching out! So far I have been drinking from the firehose and looking at everything I can online from Prevost-Stuff, mainly to see what we like aesthetically. Probably going to stop that for now and wait until Prevost Expo when I can "see" more and talk more about the chassis stuff that seems to be the priority to nail. I would love to make contact here in the next 2-3 months.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary

That is super cool! I have seen enough photos and interiors to know that my wife and I have pretty simple tastes. We are very much wish that ads included photos with and without rope lighting (and whatever looks like rope lighting) - then again, perhaps photos don't do them justice. We have liked the CC's and Royale's that we have seen on photos and youtube. Different than production models we looked at previously, it's absolutely true that, if we've seen 100, no two are similar.
    Mike & Jodi
    2006 Prevost Legendary