Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marathon Air compressor, How often does your compressor switch on when idle?

Thanks Gil,
    Rick (2006 Marathon 984)

Joe,
    Diagram seems to match up perfectly with my coach. Where did you find the biggest problems areas on the Prevost air side regarding air leaks?
    Rick

On the Marathon system, the joey bed system was a big issue. Not everyone has an air driven joey bed in bay1. The Marathon air tank drain valve was a big issue, so I replaced it with a ball valve solution. Pressure regulator on generator feet had to be replaced. I also have a Slideout TV in master which is Marathon Air driven. The regulator on the TV was also a big issue so replaced it. I recall replacing some pushin connectors on various locations. The Pocket doors were strangely solid.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Rick I think u r refering to the step slide and that is marathon.

That could leak a few different ways not counting the 2 push in fittings attatched directly to the ram. Alot of Marathon step slides r boxed in from underneath when its out door open u r on the ground looking in underneeth it, cant see it LOL. SOMETIMES. They make it so u can stand on it when its out and thats what it takes. Then the one on the bottom of the ram u have to look through a jungle of stuff attatched to the underside of the drivers floor. From that compartment under the driver.

It needs to hold pressure to keep it in as well as pressure to hold it out. The regulator is in the compartment under the drivers seat. Marathon uses a manifold thats plastic for aux stuff in there and it has swivel push in fittings that usually r pretty good. The ram can leak 2 different ways besides the fittings. If it leaks from the o ring on the ram it will leak right there at the steps. If the bottom of the ram starts leaking it will bleed backwards and come out the exhaust port on the electric over air control. Thats prob could be a small blue Mac valve and close to the regulator Im guessing on those things depending but all generally helpful i think.

Buy an Amprobe u will love it.

Sometimes a ram leak is a project. If its leaking when its in and u dont use it when your camping putting a shut off on it may be the solution if acess is less than desirable or unless cost is not as important as wanting it right. Unless its really bad and loud that u need to stop.

Good luck
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-28-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

My step slide leaks thru the electric over air control only in retracted position. I knew it did but didn't realize how much until repurposing the 3rd air press dash gauge from the old Howard "active steer" system. Plumbed it into aux air system.

Already bought an electric DC air solenoid valve to install in 1/4" aux air line to step slide. Gonna use the old Howard "active steer" 12v switch on dash for on/off. Wiring is already there in steering bay.

All I lack is the 1/4" fittings to the valve. Foolishly attempted to get them Friday (Black Friday) and access to Fleetpride was impossible. Traffic backed up for over a mile in both directions. Between an outlet mall and a shopping district.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Bill if it leaks, only in the retracted position, (big clue) and then as u say u hear it at that valve AND if its out the little pouris filter on that valve that is the exhaust port and there is nothing wrong with it. Its the o ring on the bottom of the ram in the cilinder thats leaking that just happens to be where it is coming out. Do u understand?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-28-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Yes. You or Gil told me that awhile ago. Slide still works fine, just wanna do this to stop the leak since it's an easy addition. I really won't need to turn it (air supply) off until slide is retracted.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Redneck fix complete! Tee is for the dash air pressure gauge, followed by 12v DC NC solenoid to allow air to step slide regulator. Works as I had hoped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

It finaly sunk in what u did. Briliant. U had an electrily controled air valve for your howard steering on off switch left over from when u removed the rest of it and u use it to turn the air off to the step slide when its in. And its all right there. Very nice Very good.

Does it stay put or not with no air on it? I guess if it did u just flick that switch for an instant and it sucks back in.

So noted leaky step slide 60 points.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-29-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe I had the switch wiring and the air line to dash already there. I ordered the solenoid valve $12.

I'll take the 60 points :-).

Yes slide stays put in either position without air.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40