Thread: 8V92T Oil Change

Question 8V92T Oil Change

I am about to change the oil for the first time on my own, so I wanted to poll the group about a couple of items.

I would be interested to know;

(1) What type oil you are using
    (2) Where you get it from
    (3) What type container (gallon jug, 5 gallon bucket or 55 gal drum)
    (4) How you handle getting it into the engine (air pump, manual pump, pour it in the valve cover, etc.)

I am currenly using Chevron Delo 100 40wt in gallon jugs, but I was quoted these prices;

12/1-qt $8.31 per gallon

55 gallon drum $7.80 per gallon

5 gallon pail $8.49 per gallon

6/1 gallon jugs $8.35 per gallon

Looked high to me, but this oil is not near as common as Delo 400 (the multi viscosity oil the Series 60's use) and you get this blank stare most of the time when you ask for it.

Any thoughts?

Jerry,

I always bought my 40 wt. in 55 gallon drums. I used a hand pump from Northern, but you can get a drum pump anywhere.

It only makes sense to use a drum if you have frequent changes, have the room for a drum, and don't mind the PITA transferring oil. The 8V92 is not user friendly because the cap in the valve cover isn't really easy to use. After going through all sorts of gyrations and spilling oil all over I ended up locating the drum near the rear of the coach and pumping oil through an old section of hose into the oil reservoir. When that drained down into the engine, I started filling it again until I finally was up to full using the dipstick to gauge the right level.

(An alternative is to have the drum horizontal and to fill jugs through a valve. It is a toss up whether this is easier and neater than pumping through a hose.)

If you use gallon jugs you will still likely end up pouring oil into the reservoir tank.

A five gallon pail seems unworkable unless you tranfer it to something smaller or you can climb on a ladder, balance the pail and a funnel and have the patience it takes to wait for the 40 wt. to ooze into the engine.

I am not using a 55 gallon drum anymore, preferring to pay extra for the jugs and their ease of use.

Okay, so one guy changes his oil on this board?

Bueller? Anyone?

Jon changes mine and soon as I can make the photo thing happen I'm posting proof. That Mango's Staff shirt is really paying off. Who can work on airbags that needs some clothing?

Yeah, but between my two buses and Mango's I've changed oil and lubed the bus about 50 or 55 times. I'm just starting to get the hang of it.