Thread: 24 volt Alt. oil leek

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default 24 volt Alt. oil leak

I was under here a week or so ago and found this accept way worse.
    I, at that time, cleaned it all up and tightened up those bolts and this is what reappered in a reletivly short period of time.
    This is the back plate of the alt. you are looking at.

My Bus 130.jpg

Looks like its just a simple gasket that is leaking. Find out from Elgin tomorrow.

Anyone know for sure, anybody else make this repair?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-15-2007 at 02:00 PM.

dalej Guest

Joe, you had better stop looking for stuff to do and head to Kerrville.

Question

Joe,
    Judging by that dried grease with road dirt below the unit, it looks like something has been leaking for quite a while? How do you check the oil livel in the Alternator? How's the oil level in the Alternator? Is this a case of a little leak making a big mess? Does the Alternator have or need a vent? What do you think? Just wondering.
    JIM

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Joe: This is the message you may not want to read.

Anyway, we had an ongoing problem with our 1st camper with this very issue. We tightened, replaced gaskets, etc. Turned out there was a bad seal between the cover and the first unit (if you look carefully from below, these units are in 3 pieces). Finally had to replace the alt.

Hopefully this isn't your situation!!!

Check oil level frequently as the oil lubricating this puppy runs off the engine oil supply.

If it keeps leaking, the good news is that you can extend oil change intervals as you wind up putting about 2 quarts/1000 miles in the engine. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

GOOD LUCK and hope that the gasket gets it done.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim

Yes it has been leaking for longer than we have owned it.

I would have adressed it sooner. I just learned I can get at it while sitting up inbetween the drives and tag while replacing those air relay valves.

Joe,

While the alternator can be removed from beneath the coach it is a very hard job. You should have access from above.

I don't know if all the gaskets and seals can be replaced with the alternator in place. What has your consumption of oil been?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Not much.

I'm not needing to remove it, just the gasket for the rear cover.

The service manual shows a drain plug on the bottom of it. Based on where the oil feed and drain lines are I'd say there is probably quite a bit of oil that remains in it. Gasket looks like its nothing out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    Joe: This is the message you may not want to read.

Anyway, we had an ongoing problem with our 1st camper with this very issue. We tightened, replaced gaskets, etc. Turned out there was a bad seal between the cover and the first unit (if you look carefully from below, these units are in 3 pieces). Finally had to replace the alt.

Hopefully this isn't your situation!!!

Check oil level frequently as the oil lubricating this puppy runs off the engine oil supply.

If it keeps leaking, the good news is that you can extend oil change intervals as you wind up putting about 2 quarts/1000 miles in the engine. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

GOOD LUCK and hope that the gasket gets it done.
    Jeff, Did you "finally have to replace the unit" for the oil leak or was it some other malfunction? ( just wondering for clarity).
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 04-15-2007 at 09:47 PM.

lewpopp Guest

Hell No, Jeff just traded it as he does every few months.