Thread: New Member - Considering changing chassis

Default New Member - Considering changing chassis

We have owned an 08 double slide and now a 12 triple slide H3. For several reasons, but mainly limited time to use the coach in the next 12-18 months, we are selling and buying another coach a few years older. I really am drawn to an XLII this time around. Other than the obvious difference in storage space, what are the opinions of others that have done this? Did you regret the switch since outside storage was minimal? I looking in the 07-10 vintage,right when the economy was booming and there were so many built

Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by True Blue; 09-23-2021 at 11:07 PM.

2008 - 2009 - 2010 were not particularly booming times for the converters. Also, new EPA requirements were problematic, depending on engine year.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Dont look at any XLII that hasnt had the approved Prevost Patch Panel Rivet repair for “delam” completed. Otherwise, if work needs to ge done, a minimum of $28K plus paintingbif no need for panel replacement. Or $42K to replace all panels if unsalvageable, plus paint if paying out of pocket. In our opinion, its not “if but, when” the repair will be needed. We owned an 2002 Marathon XLII single slide from 2002-2004. In two years of ownership, Prevost tried to glue it back together 5 times. This was before PAtch/Panel repair was created. We had panels “flapping” in the breeze while driving, only to have duct tape on it so not to loose them. We now stick with coaches with RIVETS. Imagine seeing duct tape on a brand new bus. Eek!
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 09-24-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

I don't get your reasoning. Unless you paid wholesale for your 2013 and sell it for high retail and buy an older XL you will be more upside down than just staying with what you have and eat the depreciation for the year.

Converters and secondary dealers are still in a fog about overpriced buses due to the pandemic when everything went nuts last year. I see so much over priced stuff out there and some who don't know will pay it. The dust needs to settle.

The previous comments are a given you just have to know what your buying.

2007 was a banner year for everybody. Marathon did 50 coaches that year. I still think that was a very good year for converters.

2008 was the start.

2009 was the reckoning.

2010 was the aftermath.

2010 was the only build year I ever saw Marathon use a 2 year old chassis. For many that was common practice.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Although a rivet fixed XL-II is more desirable, not all XL-IIs will experience adhesion failure. And those that do often only have a couple panels that are barely loose. Not necessarily a candidate for complete panel job.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
    Dont look at any XLII that hasnt had the approved Prevost Patch Panel Rivet repair for “delam” completed. Otherwise, if work needs to ge done, a minimum of $28K plus paintingbif no need for panel replacement. Or $42K to replace all panels if unsalvageable, plus paint if paying out of pocket. In our opinion, its not “if but, when” the repair will be needed. We owned an 2002 Marathon XLII single slide from 2002-2004. In two years of ownership, Prevost tried to glue it back together 5 times. This was before PAtch/Panel repair was created. We had panels “flapping” in the breeze while driving, only to have duct tape on it so not to loose them. We now stick with coaches with RIVETS. Imagine seeing duct tape on a brand new bus. Eek!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I know buses that were bought delam and were fixed by the new owner with very rudimentary tools in their own garage with good lasting results.

Should u find a bus that hasent had the fix and no delam evident id guess it has probably already patched in such a manner.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-25-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I owned a 2005 XLII and was very concerned with delam when I bought it. I had it inspected by Prevost, I had it inspected by a friend who has owned many Prevost coaches, I even had him pry on the panels with a plastic pry bar. I was VERY concerned about the issue. I was the 2nd owner and I know for a fact the original owner never had an issue with delam. Bought is right, so I figured if I had to repair it, I would still come out ahead.

Guess what......Never had an issue. I don't really care now (as I own an H3-45), but it would be nice to see the ACTUAL data on panel failures. The internet tends to amplify issue when they happen. I suspect there is some range of years that are more susceptible than others. Same story with the age of coach when they fail. I've had Prevost service people tell me that if if hasn't failed in the first 5 years of life, then the chances are slim of failure.