Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help... buying a coach

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Yo:

No intention to try any one-upping from this end.

When we first started looking for a camper we really got faked out by a lot of the coaches in the late-80 to 94 vintage. There was quite a business in conversion packages with headlights and tail-lights especially.

Here down in Po Folk Snyder Swamp, there are a couple of 85-92 buses which at first glimpse look like much newer units with square headlights, stacked rear light packages and so on.

For the first-stime buyer, new to the marketplace, just trying to pass along some of the DUH experiences we had to learn the hard way.

If we can remember what they were.

ajhaig Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Something seems to be going wrong! Guys are joining and asking questions, but never to be heard from again????????????

Still here... Went to the Cape for the weekend...

I've got 5 children, ages 2-18... My wife and I will most likely be traveling with the two youngest age 2 & 3.

Our mission is to see as much of the country as we can... While we expect to be on the road for a year, we have no time commitments so who knows when we will be back.

Great input.

The older coach appeals to me because I'd rather spend some money and have things like suspension & other systems restored to new.

Are these coaches prone to corrosion? If so, where are the weak spots?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

No corrosion on our 86, NONE.

If you do get that 87 roll it through Chicago. We will have a clinic!

Have you ever used a camper before, for any amount of time, rent, borrow?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-15-2007 at 08:23 PM.

ajhaig Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    No corrosion on our 86, NONE.

If you do get that 87 roll it through Chicago. We will have a clinic!

Have you ever used a camper before, for any amount of time, rent, borrow?
    Never... Should make it that much more of an adventure!

Arrow

The only reference to corrosion I have heard about here is, I think from Jon and was about the radiator and caused by, NY road salt. If I am correct. JIM

Never... Should make it that much more of an adventure!
    So, first step is go out and rent (or purchase) the recent movie RV (with Robin Willams). Then watch it, and make sure you don't do anything that they did!!! You'll have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by ajhaig View Post
    Still here... Went to the Cape for the weekend...

I've got 5 children, ages 2-18... My wife and I will most likely be traveling with the two youngest age 2 & 3.

Our mission is to see as much of the country as we can... While we expect to be on the road for a year, we have no time commitments so who knows when we will be back.

Great input.

The older coach appeals to me because I'd rather spend some money and have things like suspension & other systems restored to new.

Are these coaches prone to corrosion? If so, where are the weak spots?
    AJ,
    In My Humble Opinion , The 2 & 3 year olds won't remember a thing about the trip, but you and your wife sure will! Go For It! You only live once.
    JIM

Just Plain Jeff Guest

As to corrosion/rust.

The nastiest bus I have seen to date was at Buddy Gregg's in Knoxville, hmmm, about 6 years ago. It was a Marathon, used by a guy in Northern Michigan during the winter for business. Lots of salt exposure.

Opening up the engine compartment, which was generally a mess anyway, there was generalized rust and resulting holes above and in front of the engine compartment and thick, crusted rust near the radiator cover and around the air release valve, center rear. A guy bought it as-is cheap and figured that it was a hobby coach. He had restored some old cars in the past and figured that he'd do the same with the bus.

Don't know how it turned out, but if you figure that the seated coach versions have the same mechanicals, same kind of exposure in northern climes and they are still on the road, there is little which can't be brought back, given the time and energy to do so.

Most coaches, including the seated coaches I've looked at are in pretty good shape. Nothing that can't be fixed, scraped/painted and brought back. That is, unless you are looking at an abused 6V71 that never had The Love put to it. But that level of coach may have significantly more severe issues anyway.

So.

Go buy a bus. You only live once.

Please.

amanda Guest

you mentioned being down the cape this weekend, therefore i am assuming you're from massachusetts. me too. and it is a problam getting these things worked on up here. if you do end up with a bus, i'll give you my mechanics name, he'll come to your place for small jobs, which is great. good luck!!

ajhaig Guest

Indeed, we live in Dover MA... I think I'm going out to Ohio next week to look at an 1988. Thanks for your help.