Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB 97/98/99/00 XL

Foe a couple years u could get a 60 series with a straight axle front end and no ping tanks all 3.

Good stuff.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Gee guys thanks for making me feel better about my cruise airs...as if I didnt have enough problems already

The ping tanks supporting the air bags are there to make the suspension more reactive to roll. An immediate supply of air is available in the ping tanks when a bag needs to be inflated quickly. It really wasn't so much for a smoother ride.

A bigger complaint many will have with the early S-60 powered coaches is the tag axle logic. It requires aux air pressure to hold. It's unrealistic to think a coach of that age or even half that age will maintain aux air pressure. The good news is that logic can be changed and Joe's the guy to do it.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Yep. Joe did mine - updated to the new "tag axle logic". Couldn't be happier with this combo - Series 60, straight axle, Prevost OTR A/C.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Billy u r a prior truck driver with the background to make comparisons as to ride and stability with big heavy vehicals.

Do u ever experiance exessive roll in the camper a chassis without those ping tanks?

Where do u come up with this stuff Gill lol

So u r in a turn and it rolls over some, enough to open the ride height valve. Well wouldnt a smaller vessle fill quicker? Adding volume takes more air? The added volume would seem to me to do just the opposite of what u suggest. please excuse my ignorance there could be validity to what u suggest i just dont see it.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

This bus does seem to lean more than any tractor. Oddly no rear sway bar or provision for adding one - no bracketry on axle or chassis (I've looked at similar chassis with one). Maybe a 40' with this VIN wasn't an option - the parts manual shows some VIN breaks so who knows. I've learned to adjust my cornering style. As far as ping tanks I have no idea, never driven or been a passenger in another Prevost. Only stepped in 3 others besides this one.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 10-31-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

regarding body roll. The ex-Bluebird guys that previously owned a wide body heavy S60 bird (LXI is 51K lbs), notice significant reduction in body roll when transitioning to a Prevost. Most contribute it to outboard bag placement and ping tanks. I've owned both a 42' Bluebird S60 (48K lbs) and a 43' Bluebird S60 (51.5K lbs). My first experience driving a Prevost was a few weeks ago, drove a 97 XLV. I noticed the improved stability from less roll and better tracking, but what I found most surprising was how lite it felt. I did not expect that. To prove what I felt was accurate we went to a nearby CAT Scales ... 44K lbs. It was pointed out to me that from the window line up is aluminum on a Prevost, on a bird it's riveted steel roof and all. Additionally on a bird, on top of the roof are steel walk ways, and goat rails. You can tell the CG on a bird is much higher which combined with the inboard bag placement and lack of ping tanks (maybe) can make for a lot of roll.
    Last edited by Three5ives; 10-31-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    Clint and Tammy Summers
    Atlanta GA / Lenior City TN
    2000 Prevost Royale XL 45
    1977 Wanderlodge FC-31