Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axle Weight Limits

Exclamation Axle Weight Limits

I have posted along these line on both sites many time previously, but a recent thread shows there are coaches out there that have issues.

Regardless of whether you have owned your coach for a while or are considering the purchase of a specific coach it is important for you, as an owner, to know the axle weights of the coach full loaded with all your stuff, plus full fuel, plus full water.

At the very least it will help you understand what tire pressures you need to run. It may help you avoid the purchase of a coach that has weight and balance issues. And it may keep you from having an accident because your tires, or brakes, or air springs or bearings or axles failed because they were overstressed.

When you are buying a coach part of your due diligence probably includes having DD and Allison pulling the codes. Add to your list a visit to the scales.

dalej Guest

I have always wanted to scale our bus but was always afraid to since I have no clue how you go about it. I have fueled at flying j's where the scale was right there, but didn't know the in or outs of it. Can you
    let me know what is the procedure for weighing, e.g. go to the office first, call from the scale like fuel, get someone to do it.

For 9 years I have wanted to know the weights of the different axles and gross weight. I have always felt intimidated since all the truckers are working and we are usually just enjoying our time.
    Last edited by dalej; 04-10-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Here's what I did ....

1. Went in office.
    2. Told girl I wanted to weigh (turns out this wasn't necessary)
    3. Drove to scale
    4. Position each axle on a different scale (there were 3 or 4)
    5. Pushed intercom to tell them I was on scale.
    6. They will ask question about trailer number. Answer "private vehicle"
    7. Drive back to front, go to fuel desk and pay. It was about $8.00

When I was in Kerrville for the Motosat rally, I "won" a drawing for a free weight check, where they come to your site and measure it there (I think). I'll try to see if I can find my "coupon". Perhaps you can get weighed in Kerrville, if you don't have a chance to try it above.

It was really easy. You get a nice printout with weights on each axle. Perhaps not as good as each wheel independently, but better than not weighing!!

Fear not Dale.

Without knowing the weights you are only guessing at the correct tire pressures.

I weighed mine as soon as we put all of our stuff in it and filled the water supply and the fuel. I did it at a Pilot and as luck would have it every axle hit a different scale so I did not even have to do the math.

I weighed the other coach at a steel scrap yard and had to weigh the entire coach, and then we jockeyed the bus around to get the axle weights. As an alternative to a truck stop scale you can get weighed at a scrap yard, a feed mill, or any other location that has in ground scales.

dalej Guest

Thanks guys, I'm going to weigh on the way down to Kerrville. Just go ahead and ask me my weight at the rally.

Petervs Guest

Here is another way to weigh.....pun intended.

In Oregon and Washington, many of the truck scales run by the state along the highways are sometimes not open for business. Especially sundays and evenings. When that is the case, they often leave the scale turned on and a big giant digital readout is on so you can just do it yourself, take your time, have all the fun you want, wheel by wheel axle by axle, with or without the wife, etc.

And it is FREE!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

We should be close.
    If your full of fuel and water, loaded with gear when you do it, 12000 steer 29000 rear. Mabye slightly less.

I weighed ours with zero water less than 1/4 tank fuel, the day I bought it and it was 38660.

11220 steer 27440 rear. Ours has that deck.

I think we might be 48000-CGVW including 7000 on the hitch, loaded up, headed out of town.

With full water and fuel ours look like this:

Steer 17,100 tire psi per Michelin Chart is 120-122
    Drivers 21,500 , hear they say 85, but I put in 105
    Tag 12,960 , hear they say 85 as well, but that seems too low so I put 95.

The tires are wearing very well and evenly.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 04-11-2007 at 01:16 AM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Jon. Are you saying the Weight Tag Libety put inside my Coach can not be believed. i thought that is what Liberty did(Weigh the Coach Loaded) before they placed the weight tag inside the Coach. Isn't that the reason for the Posting on each Coach. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I weighed my 93 Marathon Saturday so I could adjust my tire pressures. I filled my fresh, black and gray water tanks, loaded the bus for travel and filled the fuel tank. I followed the exact procedure as Ray said he did when he weighed his. My printout was:

14,200 Steer
    19,040 Drive
    8,760 Tag
    42,000 Total

I had too much air in my drive and tag tires and not enough in my steers, so I adjusted according to the Michelin chart. I am now running 85 pounds in all rear tires which gives me at least a 5-10 pound margin to play with. I have 115 in my steers.

After weighing, I drained all my black and gray water and reduced my fresh water by 25%, so I immediately lost several hunderd pounds. I installed the valve caps that are supposed to blink if I lose 4 lbs of air, so I will see how that goes.

The main things I gained are a smoother ride, because I didn't need 105 in my rear tires, and more importantly, I have the peace of mind of actually knowing my actual maximum weight. It was the best $8 that I've spent on the bus so far.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!