Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time Prevost owner, Marathon 1998 XL 45 VIP

Mabruteam,
    Please create a signature block in the forum so every posting has your coach year, finisher, etc. Always helpful to give context to your postings and perspective.
    You'll do fine, take your time and enjoy your coach.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

First time Prevost owner, Marathon 1998 XL 45 VIP

Hi Mabruteam,

Hopefully hearing from the perspective of another new driver helped you realize that you can safely do this?
    One definite observation we’ve made over all these years (particularly in the last couple) and, certainly during our drive home...is that just because someone has a commercial license, it doesn’t seem to make them a better driver. You either practice Safe skills or, you don’t.

Too many are speeding, driving recklessly and often have their trailers straying into another lane. And, seeing all the accidents alongside the road - you have to ask how many are being properly maintained? Or, were caused from following too close at speed and with inadequate brakes?

Your well maintained Coach will get you home safely. And, by the end of your trip you will be as competent as most others on these roads.
    Enjoy yourself and have many a safe journey.
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL

I’ve been reading all the comments about preparing to drive and find them very helpful. I too, am a first time owner getting ready to pickup a 1999 XL Royale non slide in Rockwall, Tx and driving 887 miles north to Kankakee, IL. My wife are very excited about the trip but don’t tell her, I’m slightly nervous too. Hopefully it will be a short learning curve. We’re planning two overnight stops on the way. The first stop is the Downtown Riverside Park in North Little Rock, AR. We will arrive on the 12th and on the morning of the 13th, the very nice owners of the park and I are going to have a surprise Birthday Party for my wife. She will be 60 and has no idea of the plan. I told her the new coach was her birthday present but we’re going to have a party anyway. I love to be sneaky. Wish us well and we’re excited to become part of the Prevost community. Have met nothing but super nice people along the way.

Jeff & Angie Hersha
    Soon to be 1999 XL Royale owners
    Kankakee, IL

Hi Jeff,
    Highly recommend pre-routing your trip, having a RV/truck type of GPS…and, using Google satellite to preview your gas station & rest area or campground stops - to ensure where Entrance/Exit points are and clearance for the Coach. Also, get the TSD fuel card & Open Roads app…will save you considerable $ on diesel fuel at participating truck stops (e.g., TA, etc.).

We’ve put on @4,500 incident free miles this trip and are Loving our Prevost!

Only problem was the flash flooding from @1 3/4” rainfall just as we crossed into California. Unfortunately, a couple trucks were driving too fast and aggressively for conditions…hit each other and one overturned (not sure about injuries/fatality?). Shut down I-10 for over four hours.

Remember, take it slow…leave a large buffer around your Coach (we’ve found driving 5-10 mph below posted speed limits results in a natural buffer as cars speed by; and, better fuel mileage). Driving slower also makes coming down the mountains much less intimidating - as does having a fully functioning Transmission Retarder…rarely needed to tap the brakes (unless coming to a full stop).

There is nothing like driving your spacious, beautiful home across this wonderful country! Safe Travels.
    Last edited by WinterStorm; 08-07-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL