Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time Prevost owner, Marathon 1998 XL 45 VIP

Default First time Prevost owner, Marathon 1998 XL 45 VIP

First time RV owner 🤯 a lot to learn, yacht owner for over 40 years, but new to RV.. Please help!! To start my 1998 Marathon is located in 230 W Coleman St Rice Lake, WI 54868United State, I need to take it all the way to Fort Lauderdale Florida, service is up to date, tires, brakes, air bags, are new, all service done at Prevost, no oil leaks, all fluids, hoses, belts, replaced..
    I am no longer concerned about mechanical issues, but the driving of a 45 ft beast is intimidating. Should I install a all around camera before my trip? Should I buy a truck GPS? Here is my cockpit:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

There is no reason to be intimidated!!!!!! Properly adjusted mirrors, a backup camera that is set to provide a good view of things behind, and a good GPS should be all you need to create a safe and un-eventful trip.
    If you feel uncomfortable driving your new "Home on wheels" perhaps you should either take a driving course for RV's, or find yourself a large parking lot and practice backing up using a couple of safety cones, ect.
    Always be aware that it takes a further distance to stop a vehicle which weighs over 50,000 pounds, practice making turns both left and right with special attention to the relationship of your rear wheels to the curb. Be aware of the position of the coach on the road to the center and side lane markings, go slow make proper turn signals, and swing wide in turns, AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE YOUR EMERGENCY FLASHERS!! They will notify others that you are making a difficult maneuver, or "I am about to do something stupid" and you will find in most cases, other drivers will understand and assist you by keeping their distance. I have found that an adhesive dot of some sort added to the Emergency flasher and cruise control button assists in touching the buttons without looking are a good asset.
    These machines are well engineered, safe, and most enjoyable as you get more comfortable in operating them. so take your time, understand how to use your mirrors and rear camera, make good judgement, and you will be safe. ENJOY THE RIDE! Oh yes, learn to do a brake test before each days travel.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-15-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added more info

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

I was in your shoes about 9 months ago. Had to drive through Nashville TN after picking up the coach. WOW, I was sweating! Almost ran a person off the road. Got the bird signal . . . LOL.

My lesson learned so far:

1. The last mile before a stop (off interstate) I always plan carefully by looking at google maps satellite view. I pick my route carefully. A truck GPS is also very valuable!
    2. I had to focus on staying in the lane properly. I was initially off to the right side too far. I felt too close to the center line so it took some time to get adjusted. I have a mark on the windshield where the centerline should be.
    3. Seeing cars in the blind spot on the right side was difficult - mirrors were not adjust properly. Have someone walk the side of the bus (about 6 feet out) and see if you can see them in the mirror the whole time they walk.
    4. The bus will not stop like a car so obviously I don't follow very close and run at just below the speed of everyone else.
    5. Practice downshifting the transmission - I will use 5 or 4th gear and the Jake brake going down steep hill. Don't ride brakes.
    6. Get a TSD fuel card - commercial fuel lanes don't like regular credit cards. You have to go inside.
    7. Take plenty of breaks and go easy. I am starting to feel very comfortable driving but I drive very defensively.

Congratulations and enjoy - it is really not hard to drive once you get some practice. But mirrors are really important.

Never, ever be in a hurry. It doesn't matter is someone is honking, giving you the finger or whatever. If you are not sure in the slightest, get out and look. Try to avoid getting in situations that require backing up. Swing wide in turns, use all the road. You may have to wait for traffic to clear but that is way better than getting the rear tires in the ditch.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

I 100% concur with what Bill said!
    Before taking delivery of our Coach (this past Saturday afternoon from Olympia Luxury Motorcoach in Murfreesboro, TN), I had a total of 1 1/2 hours driving a 45’ bus around Nashville - initially with Gil Johnson (POG) and last week with Austin Hicks (GM/Business Partner at Olympia).
    So sure, why not add another 25’+ of tow vehicle and drive nearly 850 miles - with still so many questions! :-)

Yes, definitely install a “Truck/RV” GPS. You will want to enter your coach’s height, width and weight...to ensure you are routed correctly. Olympia installed a new dash GPS/Radio. However, also having them install/hard mount our Rand McNally 7 GPS - I personally like the way the road maps look, the vocal feedback/instructions and Maintenance & Fuel stop records it allows. Then again, many people prefer the Garmin GPS’s...personal choice.

FYI - We had Olympia install a new (4) camera system and 4-screen viewing monitor on the Central Post above the dash - see picture.
    It was certainly helpful to me as a newbie driver...especially, in that I could tap on any of the four views and it would enlarge to fill the entire monitor screen - very helpful for checking along the coach’s right side for cars/trucks merging from on ramps (seems no one knows to Yield when merging anymore?).

However, as Pete said - if your mirrors are properly adjusted, you should be fine without a 4-camera system.
    Just realize that you will actually be using the small convex mirrors for most of your approaching traffic viewing...which seems counter-intuitive to what you would expect after years of driving cars. But, the big mirrors are really just to see down along the sides of your Coach and ensure you are staying within the road’s white lines.

Just like Bill, in the beginning, I found myself hugging the right side of the lane (and, occasionally hearing the “ripple” of the drainage cuts along that side of the lane - which informed me to move over to the center!). Especially, had to teach myself to stop my hands on the wheel from following my eyes when checking on the right mirrors/cameras...as it makes you steer to the right!

That said, I successfully navigated and drove 842 miles from Olympia to Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort in Naples, FL without a single car honk or truckers’ air horn blast telling me to “stay in your lane!” We did have one incident at a TA (truck diesel service center) where we mis-navigated the location of the Exit after fueling and ended up in a dead end! In short, I got to practice unhooking our toad and backing the coach up at night by myself (including, a 2nd back-up...without toad)...when a hurried truck driver misjudged his turning radius for making the passage between parked/sleeping trucks alongside the narrow Exit lane and nearly backed into our coach - which I had parallel parked in front of some parked rigs to align for re-hooking our MKX toad. Fortunately, I had not yet moved the toad up behind our coach...and, had just enough time to check mirrors and cameras to put the coach in Reverse, release the parking brake and avoid a collision from this impatient and evidently non observant trucker!

Always try to get a Google Satelite view of anywhere you plan to fuel or park your Coach...to ensure it fits and to allow for your course of action (and, definitely avoid dead ends...needing to unhook your toad and back up!).

So here are some tidbits I’ve learned during this initial journey:

1. Have someone help with adjusting your mirrors from outside the coach...particularly, if the power mirror adjustments do not allow you to see enough of the road/too much of your Coach. They may need to take a socket to the mirror superstructure bolts to be able to move the entire unit? I had Olympia do this as I tend to sit very upright...and therefore, closer to the wheel/dash than most folks. Be sure your seat is exactly where you intend to leave it and are most comfortable driving BEFORE adjusting any mirrors.

Take this time to physically verify that all of your bay doors are actually Locked (try to lift the handle); and, to verify that you have safely disconnected everything and stored it away properly (e..g., Surge Protector, Power cord, stinky slinky, water hoses/filters, etc.

2. Turn the key but, allow enough time for all the dash lights testing to complete before Starting. This should allow sufficient time for your Auxiliary Air to reach @90 PSI (meaning your engine belts are tight) and then turn on High Idle = the “Bunny” switch on the dash.

3. Turn on your Headlights, Fog lights and (if your coach is so equipped...) the Transmission Retarder switch on the Dash.
    Do a DOT Brake test...(Search this forum or YouTube for videos, articles, etc.). An Excellent habit to get into ANY time you,are getting behind the wheel to move the coach!

4. Position the Parking Brake button in such a way that you can use your thumb to press down to Release the brake (avoid the air bleed off of not exerting enough downward force).

5. Turn on (and don’t be intimidated to use) the Cruise Control button...it will allow you to concentrate on looking @1-mile down the road - which helps keep your Coach and your focus on staying between the white lines!

Word of Caution: If you are using Cruise Control and find yourself coming into traffic that is slowing/stopping or, you are getting ready to Exit. TURN OFF the Cruise Control before engaging your Transmission Retarder (not sure whether this is applicable to Jake Brake?). Otherwise, any braking benefit of the Retarder will be countered by the Cruise trying to maintain speed...meaning, you will be forced to ride your brakes. Which is ok on flat roads but, potentially deadly coming down mountains!
    Get familiar with the location of your Cruise Contol button...I actually learned to keep my Driver’s chair left armrest up and to keep my fingers ready to switch off the Cruise button - while driving with the one hand and then using both hands - left to steer, right to engage Transmission Retarder.

6. Learn to steer using one hand. During the 1st 30-45 minutes of driving...I was finding that I kept overcompensating between left and right adjustments on the wheel. Partially because of the optical illusion that the largeness of the Coach and those huge panoramic windows creates in your mind...making you think that you are over the white line (particularly the right line - as your passenger will vehemently swear that you are off the road!). Check your mirrors/cameras and TRUST in the incredible handling and tracking of your Prevost Coach. You are doing just fine. Remember, in general, you have @2 - 2 1/2’ on either side.

Also, don’t stare in your left mirrors as trucks are coming alongside/passing you. Keep your vision “down the road ahead.” It will keep you centered without any white knuckles or sweat. Although, I give truckers the benefit of the doubt and move over to the right side of the lane - just in case their trailers are looking to use some of my lane!

Lastly, teach yourself to drive 60-62 mph on Interstates...instead of the posted 70 mph or faster. The result will be that traffic overtakes you, leaving you a clear “buffer” in front and behind. You might arrive a few minutes later but, more relaxed and with optimal mileage!

Bottom line: somewhere around 200 miles you will have found that you are much more competent and SO much less intimidated by your beautifully performing coach.

Couple last thoughts: if your tires have TPMS - go into Settings and adjust the pressure reading from allowing 25% over the cold rating...up it to 40% and you won’t get any exceeding tire pressure Alarms because one of your inner drive tires is reading 133 PSI, while the other tires are in the 120’s. Most Michelin bus tires can take up to @200 psi readings.

If you are stopping to get diesel:
    - Definitely sign up for the TSD/EFS card...(Search by TSD for other forum commentary on this program).
    We saved @ $0.46 per gallon and nearly $70 on two top offs on this trip to Naples. I am going to try to always fill-up before Fuel gage shows 1/2 tank remaining...as arrow seems to linger on Full and then more rapidly declines.

- Leave the coach running and on High Idle. Just shift into Neutral and set your Parking Brake. Remember, truck pumps allow you to pump diesel fuel from both sides...and, Prevost just happens to have fill caps on both sides, too!

Take your time...drive 200-250 miles at a time and stop - even if just at a rest stop/Welcome center to stretch your legs or get something to eat. Remember, you brought your house and bed with you...take a nap (but, if so, shut down - start your generator and run a couple air conditioners - you’ve already paid for that generator...might as well use it as it only eats @.4 gallon per hour!

By the end of your 1st day, YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE DRIVING YOUR PREVOST COACH!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WinterStorm; 06-15-2021 at 11:28 PM.
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL

I'm not a fan of side cameras, but know many are. Properly set mirrors work great.

Your wheelbase is LONG! Most driver induced damages are at the bay just forward of the curb side drive axle. It's impossible to do a right lane to right lane turn and stay in your lane and off the curve. Slow well before the approach so following cars will be prepared it you decide to stop. Look at the corner for curbing, poles and the like. Make a decision as to whether you think it's safe to drive off the pavement in the turn. Although illegal, I recommend you take half the lane to your left if it's a 4 lane or wider road and you can do so without impeding traffic. From this position you can't be passed on the right and will likely have enough room to stay in the right lane after the turn. If you have to, stop and let the traffic coming out of the lanes you are turning towards move. You might be surprised how many will back up or pull over to let you turn.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

You do PDI's on most older buses sold. I think you should also start a Driving School for Buses.

You have people writing books on here telling other 0 experience people how to drive, nonsense.

I wish all states went to at least a Non Commercial B license so some skills would be needed to pass. And anyone pulling a trailer pass a Non Comm A license..

Just a tip to you guys hugging the lines. Look as far down the road as you can, the horizon. You will be in the middle of the road. You can't peek down and stay in the middle.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Bernie is spot on when it comes to where to look when you are driving. Your focus should be well in front of you. The further down a straight road you focus the less you will find yourself turning the wheel right and left and the more you'll find you are staying in your lane.

Bernie, I do for some of my inspection customers. I like to do the training with the spouse. When it comes to getting into some camp sites, both the spotter and driver have to understand how the process is done.

As for licensing, I'm not a big fan of what is typically nothing more than a tax. I think a better approach is to make the driving skills information widely available. I do believe drivers MUST understand air brakes and testing them. Few motorhome owners do a brake bleed down test or even know what it is. I know you'll disagree given your business. Let me ask if you let your driver's park next to a SWIFT driver ;-) Today, many newer CDL holders suck at driving.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

IMG_20210506_190736797_HDR.jpg

Crank er up. Lets go make some smoke.

Who remembers Vivian MaGraw???? I got some great relevent Viv stories!!!!??
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-18-2021 at 01:54 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Bernie:

Absolutely love your sign of "Later". Got to come up with a short and simple (says it all) sign off for my self.

Chuck

P.S. When I learned to look down the road to the horizon I had a much easier time staying in my lane. Amazing how much difference that little change in driving habits help.
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel