Thread: Auxiliary Air System Filter

Default Auxiliary Air System Filter

During the Palm Beach show, they recommended that we change the auxiliary air filter cartridge in the drivers compartment. I purchased a filter cartridge after the show and have been waiting for the right time to put it in.

Since the I had the air bled off for the replacement of the tag axle control lever, this seemed like a good time. When I opened up the filter assembly, not only did I get the cartridge but several other degraded pieces as well. Seems like this had never been replaced!

Talked to Prevost and the only sell the full unit and the cartridge. So I have new filter unit coming and will have a spare cartridge. The full unit was only $100

By the way, you have to push up on the bottom of the filter base to get it to unscrew from the head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Good catch. With the pressure removed, I'm sure you discovered how easy it was to remove.

They also said the power steering reservoir should be changed. I wonder if anyone had changed that filter.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I also bought the power steering filter but I have not put it in yet. I believe the top of the canister comes off but I have heard different opinions on how the filter is retained in the canister. It’s on my list

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Where is it at in the drivers compartment?

Norman Martin
    2000 CC #60408

Mark, yes the top comes off. The challenge may be where CC relocated the reservoir. The reservoir may need to be removed.

This is a great time to replace the supply hose. So many seep fluid over the years.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

It’s in the lower compartment low on the back wall. Mine is a black canister w a white label. This is not a very good pic but you can see part of it in the lower right
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Thanks, I'm sure mine needs to be changed. I learn something every day on this forum.

Norman Martin
    2000 Country Coach

Finally got the new filter assembly installed. They are directional. There is a small arrow on the top of the canister that I almost missed. The bottom section with the sight glass in it was shipped in a different position from mine and that is was clued me in. I re-positioned the bottom half and the install was straight forward.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I finally got around to changing the power steering filter cartridge. Did not want to raise my hand again this year at the show!

Word of caution, the filter has a sealing ring on the bottom that mates with a collar at the bottom of the reservoir. I pushed mine a little too hard during re-installation and it went over the collar all at once. This cause the canister to behave like a elementary school volcano project. Power steering fluid everywhere :-) A very slight pressure and rotation would likely get it to seat with out the mess. Also you need to order the cover gasket separate.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament