Thread: Tag Axle up / down lever leaking air

Default Tag Axle up / down lever leaking air

Left TA (yea fuel card!) put town the tag and the up / down lever started leaking air. If I pushed it all the way forward, it would quit leaking but the tag would come up and the warning buzzer would sound. If I left it where it naturally falls, the tag seemed to be down and the buzzer was off. Drove it about an hour home and now I need to sort this out. Anything I should know before I take a look at this valve? Seems that it is only accessible from above in the small console housing it, the DDEC, the parking brake and two dimmer knobs for the dash.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

You might be able to access from outside. I've never raised my tag in a fuel station.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Ha! I did not mean that I raised it because I was in a fuel station :-). In this case, the exit and parking area were very busy and on one of the corners a truck was broke down so the final corner was very sharp so we raised the tag to make that corner.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Got into this yesterday. The valve is accessed from the cover / console to the left of the drivers seat. Our coach has a metal box/cover that is screwed to the side of the coach with two screws on the top and two down the back side. Had to remove the vertical trim piece that is behind the toll window and a carpeted cover at the floor just behind the box to get it away from the wall. There is not much room to work with the drivers seat in place. Moving the seat all the way forward allowed access to the carpeted cover and the rear screws. Moving it all the way back allowed access to the box itself and the tag valve.

The valve is secured to the underside of the box with the two machine screws that also hold down the tag lever trim piece. There are two air lines that were connected with push to connect fittings. In addition the pressure switch is attached to the valve and has two wire connections. The box only moves away from the wall a few inches so getting the hoses and wires off requires a little effort but certainly doable.

The valve has an o-ring on the shaft and a seal on the bottom. It would appear that my bottom seal is bad and somehow there is debris in the bottom of the seating chamber.

I will pick up a new valve today and will replace the pressure switch and fittings while I am in there. Fingers crossed, that should solve the problem. I will go back with push to connect fittings. I doubt you could get a wrench in the small space to use compression fittings and I don't feel like removing the drivers seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament