Thread: WiFi, LAN and Internet Oh My

Default WiFi, LAN and Internet Oh My

Hi All - Hoffman reminded me in discussing the Smart Thermostat, that I owe a post on the digital side of the fence. This is my wheelhouse so to speak as I'm coming up on 25 year MCSE veteran doing computer/lan work for corporations, etc. This was an interesting project recognizing it needs to be low power, with significant flexibility for IoT (sensors, etc), kids, etc.

Base System:
    We needed a computer to coordinate (think Intel NUC), which I sourced a cheaper AliExpress Intel 9K series off brand NUC with dual GbE connections running Win2019 Server. It runs Hyper-V with two guests, one PFSense firewall and the other an Ubuntu with a few Docker Containers (Ubiquiti Controller, Home Assistant, Portainer.) The Ubiquiti stuff is good if you stay off the all-in-one device and split it up. If you do their security box embed, it locks you out without Internet (which happens enough that's bad). SO, breaking it all apart helped a bunch to not require constant access. The Windows Server is natively running Plex Server (which holds all the movies and music) for the Sonos and clients access. As a side note, it's nice that people can watch stuff without killing our mobile plan just pulling it off the local server (that gets updated at night on WiFi wherever we're at.)

Things connected: One Ubiquiti Nano AP behind the central MDP with two 5 port PoE switches at each end of the coach. Hard wired things tap into those switches (like Sonos/AudioControl in the rear and A/V stuff in the front like Roku, etc.)
    The Ubi controller container image keeps track of ALL items, and let's me know who's chewing too much power/bandwidth.

All told, the computer equipment, is using around 80 watts full tilt, but I can drag it down to hibernate at 18 watts in storage when just the Cerbo (Victron brain) is direct connected to the cellular modem - that way I get telemetry data from their VRM site and can see if she's slumming. I can kick on generator set remotely if the SOC on the batteries is too low, etc.

The Internet is currently on an older 2xMiMo Netgear modem through T-Mobile with the 100Gb plan, but it's going to get upgraded to 5G when MoFi gets their new stuff together later this summer. If people want, I can do a diagram/pics to show what/how that rolls.

OK, enough firehosing - If you have questions, fire away.

Power consumption with some control systems found on newer conversions can be significant. You were smart to put power consumption in your design criteria.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

You mentioned Victron and VRM. How much solar do you have? With enough solar panels (assuming you are not parking it in a garage) consumption for the automation stuff real doesn't matter.

I am using a NetGear Nighthawk cellular modem feeding into in Ubiquiti Edgerouter which is a member of my companies virtual office/LAN which makes everything appear as one always on LAN. The bus is just another subnet... Everyone's company overlay router links via a NAT connection to one public IP address (ET call home)... Very easy to do file copies or remote console between computers, etc.

For cellular service I am using OtrMobile for unlimited internet over a T-Mobile link. Their service used to be ATT but they switched at the beginning of the year which was initially crappy but is quite good now.

Is there a layman's post to explain what is actually discussed here?
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch

George,
    Here's a layman's version (With added commentary):

SkinnerVic has built himself a complex system to avail himself of some cool features and functions in his coach. If things like NAT, VIP, Hyper-V, and Docker are foreign to you, I suggest you just move on and quit reading this thread. If setting up your own Docker container or your own Microsoft Win2019 Server sounds like fun, there's some great ideas and suggestions on how to configure such a rig. Nerd out, have fun.
    For me, after 41 years in the computer industry including a BSCS degree and Masters in Software Engineering, I'd prefer to keep it simple and just stream it all from the cloud and only worry about if I have cell service for my unlimited MIFI puck. Parttime retired and no plans to go back into it. SkinnerVic still seems to have the fire in his heart to have fun with it all. Go for it.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Joe has my number, I've been in the game 25+ years, MCSE, SIE, etc. In my 40's, I still have to work (securely), and make things function for 4 others, so it's something for me to knoodle and tinker. Freds - 0 solar yet, that's my next phase after our upcoming 3+ week roadtrip. It didn't make the cut this time. We have lots of other projects on phase 3 (replacing fiberoptics with LED/WLED, Installing PWM dimmers on the Featherlite switching, Home Assistant integration of the shade controller, installing a 43" QLED up front on a hidden fold down rack.) I also grew up doing high-end car audio (like competition) where I split off to do computer consulting and my friends went and started their home theater shop (they do 500K+ corporate/theater installs now). They're looking forward to doing something offbeat come September with me. All things seem to come back in a circle.

This reminds me of the Turbo Encabulator video about the Chrysler transmission LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Default Fred's solar installation

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnerVic View Post
    . Freds - 0 solar yet, that's my next phase after our upcoming 3+ week roadtrip. It didn't make the cut this time. We have lots of other projects on phase 3 (replacing fiberoptics with LED/WLED, Installing PWM dimmers on the Featherlite switching, Home Assistant integration of the shade controller, installing a 43" QLED up front on a hidden fold down rack.)
    I managed to get ten solar panels mounted on my bus:

My goal is to be able to run both air conditioners off of solar power (highest observed output is 3.2KW in the Arizona desert) and I just barely met that goal. Turn's out there is a new type of solar panel out there which are BiFacial that generate power from the front and reflected light from the back. They also generate more power on cloudy days, so thinking of switching myself.

The YouTube channel "DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse" has a video on these types of panels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2onYsb9advE

You can read my back posts on more of what I have done to my bus. Most of my post's are in a single thread:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ntage-Bus-1980

For the bus automation I use Raspberry Pi's and Node-Red to do my automations.

Also take a look at the TV lift that I used.

Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice. I've followed Will for awhile - good kid. I used the BigBattery discount code from him for my system (20Kwh LiFePo).

Yes, for us not tech savvy

Yes, for us not tech savvy people