Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - Basement Air vs. Roof Air

Default Question - Central/Basement Air vs. Roof Air

We are excited to be purchasing our first Motorcoach and becoming a part of the Prevost family. We are looking at a few Prevost XL2 Country Coach conversions in the 2006 year range.

Question - all of these coaches have central/basement air. Most other coaches I've researched so far have roof air. From what I've learned so far it seems like both have pros and cons.

Roof Air Pros:
    • Frees up more basement storage
    • Easier to swap out if one fails and lesser cost ($2500ish per unit?)

Roof Air Cons:
    • Noisier inside the coach
    • Harder to keep coach cold in warm/hot climates?

Central/Basement Air Pros:
    • Extremely quiet inside the coach
    • Seemed to keep inside of coach cold (we visited the coach in FL on a sunny 90 degree day)

Central/Basement Air Cons:
    • Takes up basement storage
    • These aren't made anymore? BUT, similar to a home a/c unit so can be repaired easily?

Am I missing anything or incorrect on any of these points? I appreciate anyone's input who has experience with both of these types of units.

Thanks!

Rich
    Last edited by GuysOnTheGo; 04-25-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Country Coach and Featherlight basement air should not be confused with Cruise Airs...

While the original basement air is no longer being made, Coleman makes a replacement that works fine with little modifications. Donnie Myers and others have had great success rebuilding the old units, so that is a good option too. You do loose one of the partial bays on each side but they are not full across bays (I believe the fuel tank is in the middle). We are very fond of our basement airs in our 2006 Country Coach.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

The CC RVAC basement air units are hands down the quietest and there's nothing about those units that prevents them from being rebuilt. They occupy the same space Prevost's bus air occupies in a CC conversion. Keeping in mind many if not most Bus Air coaches are equipped with Cruisair split systems, you actually gain space.

Roof airs are all that's used today. Ducting has improved considerably in reducing noise. Most can be replaced in a couple hours for less than $1,500.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

In regards to Pros and Cons, i've heard of people claiming that the basement architecture can shutdown when driving on very hot days due to heat from the road surface. I've not experienced this personally. But I would not choose a coach based on the A/C architecture, both are good. Pick a solid coach that has a floorplan you love. Consider hiring someone to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI). A few hrs of expert unbaised advice is priceless on such a complex system.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Those are Cruise Air not CC or Featherlight basement airs, Joe
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Les,

Thanks for your response. If all goes well, we will be the proud owners of a 2006 Country Coach, too ����. Hopefully we will meet someday!

Rich

Gil,

Thanks for your reply and your world of Prevost knowledge!

Rich

Thanks for your response. Yes, we will have Gil do a PPI!

Rich

Rich, there is a lot of pride in CC owners in addition to a significant knowledge base. Like any new to you bus, it will take a while to get settled and we expect many, many questions. If you get the bus, contact me and I'll give you my contact information. If the one you are looking at is in Florida and you will be traveling back up North, we have options!
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Will do! Thanks, Les!

Rich