Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camper Joe is my Hero

Bill thats not the wash bucket its the "puss bucket".

Moving on, I have gotton some grief from time to time from the likes of Gill and similar types in regards to "book things" such as torque specs run out ect ect. Stuff like what the hell was in some designers head when the do what they do.

Bill here is a pilot and u guys r a huge positive influence for any mechanic not in avaition. Hangers r always a great place to work. Even though sometimes u guys r a bit much I am willing to surrender to the perfection because i know it is not all bad

That said, we r conducting an experiment. We got stuff here. So when i reinstall the front hubs im not going to use book method or a torque wrench for the hub bearings and when im done we r going to stick a dial indicator with a magnetic base on it and we will see what the clearance is. The book says .oo1 to.oo5. I like .oo1. We shall see.

I can tell u this the way they were set they were too tight we indexed them before we loosened them and thats a great baseline. ill set the inner nut 2 holes looser on the keyed lock washer. Run the outer nut tight. Bam. Thats the money move right there. Maybe 3 holes. That will give .oo1 on the dial indicator.

Ill also run the lug nuts up with my gun to within 50 ftlb. Thats my guess. We will check them with the torque wrench.

This will be fun. In fact Bill we need to let me do a few nuts on the hub studs for the drivers side rotor. 125 ft lb right? Lets see how close I can get!!! We will hit them with the torque wrench to check dont worry I wont make too much of a test pilot out of u.

What the heck is the matter with the norgren corp cant keep ahead of demand with inventory. Come on enough already.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-11-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe and Bill...now there’s some conversations and knowledge exchanges I’d like to be a fly on the wall overhearing!
    Great minds and the like. Can definitely see you two getting along and talking experiences.
    Bill, we’re finally taking delivery of our “2021” new to us 2003 Liberty Lady Classic non-slide today from Olympia. SO much has been updated/upgraded/replaced on this coach that probably only the Allison transmission and Detroit Diesel 60 engine are what’s left/original!
    Good news is now we can start to apply much of what we’ve been reading in the POG forums!
    Bring on the fire hydrant - I’m thirsty to learn. :-)
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL

Joe C is great. Very happy with my new improved suspension, etc.
    But we need to teach him about email, he's still using my email for his Prevost orders so I'm getting copies of orders for all you guys. If you need a copy of anything, let me know.
    The least I can do for the 'puss bucket wizard'.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Hey Joe thats Prevo doing that i had no idea and r u saying u r still getting them??? No way LOL. Canadiens buba.

So the nuts that hold the rotor to the hub studs book says 110-130ft lb. My by hand was 135ft lb. The lash on the hub that I do and will continue to do freestyle, .001. Bill made video proof.

Next time someone pulls a dial indicator out on me will recieve a surcharge. How insulting. Have some respect.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-12-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I will add my eye witness testimony that Joes feel matches the Rockwell service books. We did make a good video of how to tighten up the hub nuts which I will post later.

As for the book, for most of us without years of experience, it is probably a good thing to read! LOL. For Joe, he has passed the test with flying colors. If someone does get on the wrong side of Joe, he does like chocolate. That should at least soften the surcharge.

I did learn some things today:

1. A coffee pot and cookie jar is a good idea
    2. Joe likes the Lucas hub oil for the wheel bearings
    3. Joe recommends synthetic oil in the differential

We started the day by giving Joe a ride in a Piper Super Cub. Then we worked through the heat of the day to finish the front rotors, breaks, and shocks.

https://youtu.be/QSCnulRW36U

Joe Camper adjusting Rockwell front axle hub.

Joe is "Da Man" He certainly knows his stuff.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

That can't be Joe his hands are clean. Joe gets into it full grease and all
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch

Joe Camper removing drive axle. Necessary step if you ever need to tow the bus (of course, the tires would still be on the bust but this shows the axle removal process).

https://youtu.be/PfXYwYf5vrI

Another Joe Camper short video removing the drive hub. I asked Joe about posting these and he was happy to share his knowledge. He sure makes it look easy . . .

https://youtu.be/05hBnDoY5iQ