Thread: Generator High Hertz

Default Generator High Hertz

I have a Kohler 20KW generator and it is running at 63Hz. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to check? I am assuming it is an RPM issue. When the generator gets under a load exceeding 8KW the hertz will be around 60.

Generators with string engines or automatic voltage regulators generally hold to 1 Hz. And yes, frequency is determined by RPM. It's easy to adjust for any given load.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

IN MY OPINION,
    63 Hz will not hurt ANYTHING at all

When you get to 70, then I would get concerned.

I personally run my RPM a bit high with no load, this way when a load is applied, I'm not running low voltage. I own a Liberty that will draw EVERY bit of 50 Amps on each side of the panel with everything running. Yes, Liberty's are power hogs.

Just my opinion
    2000 Prevost Liberty H3-45 Hamden Edtion

Kohler has confirmed the generator should run between 60Hz - 63Hz 1890-1800 RPM. The issue that got me to looking at the hertz was an air fryer/oven/toaster. If the hertz are above 61.8 it will click a bunch of times before it starts working.

I would check your appliance, most all appliances are designed to operate within 15% of rated voltage / Hertz

Rick
    2000 Prevost Liberty H3-45 Hamden Edtion