Thread: -17 degrees last night

Default -17 degrees last night

Hello,
    I am amazed how well insulated my 98 XL is. It has been near zero and 17 below last night. I kept my Aquahot on, and toe kickers and and set them so it was 70 or so degrees inside.
    Kept my water bay heaters on, but left off my front two bays as there is nothing that can freeze in them. Without heaters on they stayed way above freezing. 45 or so degrees.

And Dave's bus is not in a garage. Hungry Billy's across town Dave trying to keep an outdoor Inground pool happy but the Marathon is as snug as a bug in a rug almost effortlessly.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-16-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe,

My only issue has been my entry door freezing shut...I solved the issue by not shutting it completely, just close enough to lock the coach..a hard shove always breaks up the ice and I'm inside my toasty coach...

Bus is in unheated/uninsulated bldg. that is COLD. Bay heat is a 1300W cube heater and I did turn water heaters on, all I'm using inside is a 1500W in the bathroom and a 500W under kitchen sink. I check it a few times daily, this AM after -17 temp the bays were 48-50deg and interior was 52 I think. Haven't even needed the Webasto or electric toe-kicks.

Just learned yesterday Oklahoma is part of what is called the Southwest Power Pool, which is a portion of the nationwide electric grid that stretches from TX up thru OK, AR, KS, NE and into the Dakotas. Intentional managed rolling blackouts began this morning all across the grid. Somehow we here at home were unaffected, however I know many in surrounding parts of metro that weren't so fortunate. Lots of frozen pipes and pools. We do have a portable backup generator, which was definitely on standby as I'm using 4500W of heat under a tarp covering pool pump etc - that has been a success so far.

A large part of this issue was apparently a result of TX (which probably has as much natural gas as anyplace else on the planet) windfarms providing 23-25% (depending on which report) of the power production there. These windmills mostly became unusable do to ice on blades and other temperature issues. OK has our fair share of these also. I have no issue with renewable energy, but in this situation it failed miserably - providing a brutal reminder of how important natural gas, coal etc. is to have available for baseload power needs, let alone the huge increase in demand caused by this Siberian air.

Due to the possibility of power loss for hours, I also put a 1500W cube heater in generator bay just in case, figured the generator would be happier starting warmer than negative temps should it be needed. Also have the electric block heater for DD plugged in.. figured why not.

The Webasto works should I need it, as do the electric toe-kicks.

Thankful to have 500A of service here at home/shop.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 02-16-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40