Thread: 24 volt charger for chassis

Hybrid View

U do not want a 24 v charger for your chassis. U want one like Mike posted only, one that charges 2 12 v banks. If u have 1 of your 4 chassis Batts go bad a 24v will roast the other 3 trying to keep voltage up. 2 12s will not do that and won't hide the problem either u will catch the bad apple by getting a batt imbalance early on.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Yep, this works really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is how I hookup my Battery Tenders to charge two parallel twelve volt banks in series to get 24 Volts with my current battery tenders. I will be buying a Guest charger soon and connecting it the same way. Anyone rewiring this area of the Bus should see how Gil uses Bus Bars. It's a much cleaner setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach

Any downside to using a small fused set of alligator clips on the CHASSIS and HOUSE terminals of the jump-start solenoid in engine bay when parked, and letting the inverters maintain the chassis batteries also? I do realize a shore power loss in that scenario would also deplete chassis batteries along with house batteries, but it is stored here at home so not much of a concern.

I can't take credit for this idea (it was suggested by Rick May) - however I have done this since Dec 2018 and has seemed to work well.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40