Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: straight 40 wt.

Default straight 40 wt.

I have two cases of Delo 400 straight 40 wt. left over from my 8-92 days. There are six 1 gallon jugs in a case and I want $42.00 per case, by the case only. Will bring to Kerrville if you like. First come, first served.

Happy Easter everybody,

Ken,

I will take both cases if you can bring them to Kerrville. If others ask for a case, then I will just take one, and someone else can have the other. Thanks. Dale
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-04-2007 at 11:58 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Just a note. According to the Chevron Delo website, Delo 400 oils are not recommended for Detroit two stroke engines. If you go to their website (here is the link): https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsSe...e&lbLanguage=e

and then open the first publication on Chevron Delo 400, on the second page, second full paragraph is the advisory. I believe it is because the ash content is 1.35 versus the DDC spec of 1.0 max. The DDC spec requires a CF-2 API service category. Based on my review of the Delo 400 information, the 40 weight does not meet this requirement.

The only Chevron oil that meets the CF-2 API service category is Chevron Delo 100. The Delo 100 information affirmatively indicates that Delo 100 meets the DDC two stroke requirements for maximum ash content.

I found this out a couple of years ago when the shop that was doing oil changes on my bus said they were using Delo 400. I couldn't find the CF-2 API service catergory on the oil and started doing a little research. I am not sure if using the 400 would result in issues, but I chose not to given the advisory from Chevron.
    Last edited by Loc; 04-05-2007 at 07:58 AM. Reason: no link

This is a surprise to me since I have talked to others who said Dello 400 was the one to use; but I do see the Chevron guidelines say, "NO" and hopefully, Chevron knows what they are talking about.

Am I the only one on this forum using Dello 400 in my 8V92? I was going to use it because the previous owner told me he just changed the oil and added Dello 400. What other oils are approved and and being used by 8V92 owners?

Ken, based on this informaiton, I suppose I should retract my statement about taking the two cases. Thanks. Dale
    Dale & Paulette

I am sure there are a bunch of approved oils but when we lived in western NY there were not a lot of options. Since DD has always recommended the Mobil oils I used the Mobil 1200 exclusively. It meets the specs.

I made numerous phone calls to Chevron, Detroit Service Centers, and Prevost in Jacksonville, FL. I got a variety of answers; some that I know were wrong. The tech at Prevost told me to use 15-40, but when I said I know I am not supposed to use multi weight oil in a 2-cycle, he said he would have to check with someone else and give me a call back.

I talked to several Detroit Service Centers that told me the only thing that matters is that it is a straight weight 40W, and they have used Delo 400 for years.

I called a Chevron Distributor in Mobile, Al, and he read a specification to me that said Delo 30, 40, or 50W were approved for Detroit 2-cycle engines. I told him what I had read on the Chevron website, so he gave me the phone number of the Chief Engineer at Chevron. When I asked the engineer he said that Delo 400 was recommended for years, but as oils have improved, the Delo 100 is now the best oil for the 2-cycle Detroit because of the lower ash content. Based on this info, I will change to another oil, but I am not concerned about the fact that I've had Delo 400 in the engine since the last oil change.
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-05-2007 at 11:37 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

dalej Guest

FYI, I use Mobil Delvac 1640 in mine. Used to be 1340 or somthing close to that. I have a 55 gal barrel.

Used to be 1240. The multi viscosity was 1300

dalej Guest

I bet your right Jon, It was a year or so ago since I had the other number. I ask why they changed the number, he said they just do.

Default straight 40 wt

Roadrunner--no problem on the oil

now I am going to throw in my 2 cents worth. Delaney and Aulf, probably the finest DD/Allison repair shop in California, privately owned and celebrating their 60th year in business this year, recommends Delo 400. I think you guys are splitting hairs here with this ash count business. I don't know how many tens of thousands of miles my old Eagle bus ran with Delo 400, but it was a bunch.

See you all in K'ville, 17 days away!!

Happy Easter,