Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank

Default Fuel Tank

Hello,

My 98 XL has fuel fills on both sides of coach. I read somewhere that some coaches have two tanks..how would I find out if my does?

Thanks

I have never thought about that before. As far as I know, mine only has one tank.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Fill one side and then attempt to fill the other, right afterwards (incase there is a cross flow that connects them together).

My couch has two fuel fill doors, but only one side has a fuel fill cap, other side might have been lost by previous owner and replaced with a rubber cap.

Thinking is that they might have provided an alternate fuel source to the generator on that side.

Hey David. My 1995 Liberty also has fuel fills on both sides but they flow into the same tank. This was designed simply so you could fill on either side. When I bought the coach I was told it had a 60 gallon auxiliary tank. I discovered this must be true since I have pumped more fuel than what the standard tank holds, supposedly at 200 gallons. This would lead me to believe that the 2 tanks are interconnected. I have not been able to confirm with any information I have on the coach what the capacities are for both tanks.
    I'm sure Joe or Gil will have some input on this. Hope it helps.
    1995 Liberty XL
    Chris & Sara Jo Behrens

Yes, there was an optional second tank. It did not have a separate filler. If the label is still on the fuel door, the capacity should give it away. Otherwise, look under the coach and see if you see a second tank. I was under the impression the added tank occupied a small part of the bay in front of the fuel tank. I was told by someone, there extra tank was behind the tag axle. If you want to know for sure were it would have been pull down the parts manual.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

90 gal centered and forward of the main tank with a connecting tube between. Untill I don't know when. Then 1 larger tank that was bigger than the predisesor but not quite the capacity of the combined 2 that preceded it.

I think that's how it went but the years that happened good question for the prevo techs and converters. My XL had a 160 and a 90 a big cube and a little cube centered in front of it. I'm thinking for a while that 1 bigger tank that followed was not quite 250. Don't know what new ones got. Nother good question.

Going way back prior to 84 on the 96 in wide buses the tank was directly forward of the drives all the way across good design.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-15-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

My bus is a 92, the manual states 160 Gallons, one tank, Fill from Passenger side only.
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach

I contacted Troy Moody at Liberty Coach to get the fuel tank capacity for my coach. I assume it would be the same for most models within my year. 208 gallons in the main fuel tank. The auxiliary tank installed is 90 gallons. I also asked what the fresh water tank and waste water capacity would be. He did not offer an exact capacity but offered this formula. To calculate the water and waste tank multiply the length x the width x the height and divide by 231 to give you the gallon capacity of each tank. Getting a ruler in there should be a challenge!!!
    1995 Liberty XL
    Chris & Sara Jo Behrens

Mine has one tank, 160 gal aluminum, can see it if under bus.

One thing I found interesting. When we got home from our last trip in October, I did an oil change while warm and while I was under there put my hand on the fuel tank. It was extremely warm, which I wasn't expecting. So must me one or more of three things: 1) Fuel heater? 2) Fuel recirculated back to tank warming it? 3) Warmed by airflow/engine heat and/or road heat but that seems unlikely.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 02-18-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

If you go to the parts manual for your year coach you will find the standard by Prevost. My 1998 Royale by serial number shows a 208 gallon tank and no additional tanks.
    My converter info list a main at 208 gal and an auxiliary of 60 gallons. My fuel doors on each side has a placard for 268 gallon and refer to filling to 95% capacity.
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch