Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Default Good Sam Roadside Assistance

I was stuck on the side of the highway with the transmission stuck in 1st gear. Worked with Prevost Pass who hooked me up with the only towing service that Prevost Fort Worth would recommend / use.

After the tow, I called Good Sam to find out how to get reimbursed. They reminded me that I should have called them first. Said that I could submit an application for reimbursement. So I did.

Crickets for some time then got a letter saying I was denied because I did not call them first. Called customer service four times since then. Explained the situation, said that I would accept a partial reimbursement if that dollar amount did not match their expectations. I understand that you wanted me to call first but there was really only one choice ... Each time they said that a claims person would call me and discuss this. Never did. Today I called again and they said that it was denied and case was closed and could not be re-opened. I asked why I never received a call and was told that "they had no reason to call you".

So, I need to decide if I want to keep the Good Sam roadside assistance. Who are you using for assistance that you trust to tow your bus and actually treat you like a person and not a number ... they have no reason to call you...

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the tow cost?

Also, what was wrong with the transmission. I have a 1995 CC (probably not coach specific, perhaps more age specific) - wondering if I can fix something proactively to prevent the same problem.

To answer your question, I use Progressive road side assistance as part of my insurance. Roadside breakdown is my biggest worry . . .

FYI...
    I had to have a tow a few years back and I also Had Good Sams. I called and told them were I was at and needed a tow that can handle a Greyhound Bus, not to send a 3/4 ton truck to tow.
    After waiting for 2+ hours (tow truck was 50 miles away). A Big Heavy Duty wrecker showed up....after him looking over the rig and trying to figure how to hook it up, I dismissed him.
    I then called a recommended tow company from Stewart Stevenson. I called them and two hours later, he showed up (same size/type wrecker). He hooked up and made the tow to SS for repairs.
    When I got back home, I wrote a letter to GS explaining how the first wrecker driver didn't know what he was doing.
    After about two weeks, I got reimbursed the entire amount....
    2008 Marathon XLII #1112
    Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bill, the tow was $780.00 for 17 miles. The transmission failure was due to a speed sensor on the transmission. In and out in a day.

Bussphart: That is what I am afraid of, that anyone that Good Sam would call would not be capable. The guy that towed me said that he goes out all of the time after someone was called, looked at the bus and decided not to tow it. Are you still using GS or did you change to someone else?

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Hi Bill, for sure pull that stainless plate that hangs down in the front under the Bumper. Mine was damaged in my initial Tow back in September. Watching that whole experience and seeing my Prize possession getting yanked around was something unsettling.
    Last edited by PrevostNewbie; 01-25-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

I have had Coach Net for years, and have had to use them several times. The best investment you can make for these buses. They have several plans to suit most any owner. They have always sent the proper size equipment every time I have needed a tow, or a tire change. Some time they have difficulty finding the proper tire brand, but that is the only issue I have had. I highly recommend them.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

The other thing I would be careful of is pulling the axels. The tow truck driver pulled half the bolts off then decided to check and see if he has a cover. He didn't so that requires a new seal now. Disconnecting the driveshaft is much easier and less work. Just have to be careful with the parts, as this area is covered in road grime and dirt.
    Mike Giboney

Mark, I kept GS for a few more years, then last year I switched to FMCA...Don't know if they're better; worse or the same...Hope I never have to use them or anyone else. Just peace of mind in case I do!
    Mike
    2008 Marathon XLII #1112
    Jeep Grand Cherokee

Thanks. I will look into Coach Net. FYI, they pulled an axle on mine. Had the right caps and used a new seal when they put it back in. He liked that more than pulling the drive shaft.

The guy that towed it really took his time and was very careful. Made sure he was not damaging anything and used padding to keep the air hose off of the finish. He was relieved not to see any AC condensing units under the front. Apparently they can be tough to deal with. That comment alone let me know that this was not his first bus.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

My AAA has a $500.00 Cap for about $18.00 a month.
    Mike Giboney