Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US 50

Very cool thank you. I'm a flatlander and panoramic views are what I'm looking for. On the map they tell you the height of the Peaks but I think a lot of these campgrounds are down in The Valleys between the ranges in more manageable elevations. I'm going to take you up on that offer call you one day I'll be leaving California headed back east sometime in May I think approximately.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach

Just set the brakes in Carson City Nevada. Started this afternoon southwest of Sacramento. Picked up U.S. 50 East off north I-5, south of Sacramento. This is not an interstate. It is a mountian pass. Takes u around Lake Tahoe. Go to about 7000 ft before u start down about 7 or 8 miles west of Carson City. Last 8 miles into Carson City 6 % grade. Went down In 7th direct and 7th overdrive while shuttling back and forth from high and low with the jake, bout 45mph, 1700 rpm or so. Never touched the brakes entire way down. Im tempted to turn around and double back just to do that again. For me going up is like work going down is like fun. Its an adrenalin rush. My calves vibrate for a couple hrs after parked like ive just gotton off roller skates after drives like that.

On the way up only had to stop once to close the fridge door. This is when a wife comes in handy but no thanks ill stop and close it.

Im going to continue east tomorrow first light. Plan on using US50 all the way to Pueblo Colorado other side of the continental divide.

Trucks runnin like a swiss watch. Life is good. Think ill break out a can of vienna sausages!!!

I wouldnt hesitate to do it with a bus and a toad much of it is 45 mph posted much 35 too with passing zones all along the way. U can very easily head north out of Carson City up to I-80 East if u had enough or contonue on east on 50. It took about 4 hr to make the trip from Sacramento to Carson City. Only good piece of road i found in Califrnia too, very nice road.

It does take a very special partner to be able to enjoy a ride like that from the passanger seat as much as a driver does, if u get my drift, so be conch.

Overall the gps had only an hrs difference in total time for a 1200 mile trip. Rt 50 one hr longer than using I-80 and less miles why the heck not.

Lot a nuthin for 700 miles goin east from Carson City and ill be puttin an eyeball on it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-05-2021 at 11:25 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

When I did that exact route years ago driving home my newly purchased ebay item, I was on 50 from Sacramento to Lamar, CO. Then 287 south.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Got started about first light stopped and sat down for breakfast, never took it over 70, its lunch and im sitting in Ely thats on the eastern boarder with Utah. Never even felt anything close to a bump. Thats 320 Miles right there. Great road. Onereally good windy mountian pass but real wide and they have it posted 25 mph for about 4 miles really safe at that speed and real thrilling too.

Never lost cell coverage or gps or internet with Verizon the whole way. I think utah its not like that.

If u think u got a reliable piece your sitting on this is a great way.

Senery is fantastic but beware if u do something dumb or stupid out here u will regreat it. Nothing out here but panoramic views i mean nothin.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

IMG_20210506_210256414.jpg

Dusk Green River Utah. 650 miles East of Carson City. All US50 id definatly go that way again. Stopped 4 times for prob 2 hr combined. Never broke 70 mph. All 2 lane. Daylight only. No traffic no construction no bullshit.

IMG_20210506_210844336.jpg

Scrubbing off the bugs with an adult beverage now. Out on the road life is good.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-06-2021 at 11:12 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

i knew you would like that ride have fun and thanks

Thank u Norm now go make some smoke. I landed in Pueblo Co. bout the same time tisafternoon as I left yer place day before yesterday.

1200 miles over the Rockies on a 2 lane in 2 day. Just a guy and his truck. Cant do that on just any 2 lane. Or with just any motorhome.

About half way cross Utah US50 runs into I-70 and for the entire eastern half of Utah the speed limit is 80. Unfortunatly there are repetitive closely spaced dips the entire way. Bad ones. The hammer lane is better for a long way but it has its doozys too got to keep your eyes peeled. Or I was 65 mph and any more they were too uncomfortable to live with. And i used the hammer lane constant only moving over as cars came up from behind.

That last piece of 50 in Colorado all the way across to Pueblo was a spectacular drive. Road smoothed out. Scenery was everywhere couldnt take it all in. Its not for the faint of heart and it will wear u out gettin across. Dont pass up an opportunity to use it. This is one of those drives u will not forget.

IMG_20210507_141420530_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210507_144422839_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-07-2021 at 10:14 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Awesome! I love the picture of that old snow plow.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Agree - that is a really cool pic.