Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to POG Looking for block heater plug on Detroit 60 Series

Default New to POG Looking for block heater plug on Detroit 60 Series

Can someone tell me where the engine block heater plug is on my 2000 CC Detroit 60 series?
    I have been around for a while but this is my first post. Haven't learned how to put a picture of my coach yet.
    Thanks,
    Norman Martin
    Garland Texas

Mine was zip-tied to a wiring harness above engine bay doors. Close to 120v outlet in engine compartment.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Hey All,

I have a block heater on my breaker panel, which I do not use. Am I correct that my Aquahot keeps the engine warm? Or should I also use the block heater?

Thanks
    David Thomas
    1998 Featherlight XL

Mine is exactly where Billy's is located.

David 2 different ways to accomplish same thing. Detroit block heater is electric and from what I've read on here takes 4-5 hours to warm coolant up much. If AquaHot is similar to Webasto then the diesel fired coolant heater takes about 45 min, again based on what I've read here.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Thanks for the response. I will look a little harder.
    Norman

Hey Billy,

Yes Aquahot has a Webasto as the heater...In the winter I leave the Aquahot to heat the coach and bays on all the time..Can anyone confirm that I don't need to leave block heater on?

Thanks
    David Thomas
    1998 Featherlight XL

David unless you are planning to start it in cold weather no need to have it on - proper antifreeze/coolant mix takes care of that.

I don't know how your AquaHot is plumbed. On mine (Webasto) I have a button on dash labeled "block heat" that when activated fires Webasto and circulates coolant thru engine. This has NOTHING to do with electric "block heat" 110v plug in engine bay.

What I don't know / never investigated is if running Webasto for interior heat exchangers (or hot water) also heats engine block or not (without using dash switch). My assumption is yes - although probably slower as I'm guessing using "block heat' on dash doesn't open valves to entire coach. Just a guess.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Hey Billy,

I keep my Aquahot on all winter as I want to stabilize the temperature in the coach. I do keep it at about 50 degrees and then turn the toe kickers on as well. I set them at about 60 degrees. My thoughts are to utilize the toe kickers as first defense and if I was to lose power then the aquahot would be a back up. This way I save on fuel for the Aquahot.

I would love to hear from others in the group if the Aquahot keeps my engine warm set on 50 degrees.

Thanks

Sure it does. I think Vantare has a button marked engine loop or block heat or 12v block. 2 buttons 1 says 12v heat it's the other button.

With the aquahot it is thermostaticly controlled. The one that's powered by ac power and it has a breaker that one has no thermostat. I have much experiance with this type. In trucks. These r designed to be able to be left on overnight or days or weeks even. They work very good and do it with lots of juice consumed. About like running a electric water heater element and it never kicks out. U can also use both togather. From stone cold the aquahot should begin to cycle in less than an hr . The other one takes longer about 3 or 4 hr.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-02-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines